Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Forum Cookbook....

Okay James, how do we go about this?

Here's a first cut of a Table of Contents....next we can do a list of recipes wanted for each section.

Forum thoughts and suggestions welcome...

I would think we can cut and past a lot of posts from the forum...at least to start some of the sections.

Maybe have a sponsor for each section....like CJ for breads!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JB?s Forno Bravo Forum Cook Book

Table of Contents

Introduction to Wood Fired Ovens

General Cooking Guidance:

? Tools
    ? Cookware
    ? Pantry Items
    ? Fresh Ingredients
    ? Fire and Heat Management
    ? Cooking Techniques

Recipes:

? Pizza

? Breads

? Appetizers

? Main Courses
    o Meats
    o Fish and Seafood
    o Stews and Casseroles
    o Pastries of the World
    o Vegetarian

? Supporting Dishes
    o Potatoes
    o Vegetables
    o Pasta and Rice
    o Pastries

? Desserts

? Other Fun Stuff
    o Making Yoghurt
    o Dehydrating Foods
    o Toasting Nuts
    o ?????
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Building a Forum Cookbook....

Jim,
    Let's work off line in Word on the basic outline, such as the table of contents and a consistent format for recipes (ingredients, measurements, assembly, cooking, etc.). Once we have that, I can go through a scrub recipes off the forum and try to format them to fit. Also, if anyone wants to contribute recipes, you can email them to me.

I think that nice photos will be a big part of making this fun. I will drag photos off the forum where I can, and folks can send me original photos which I can format.

Mary Karlin, the chef at Ramekins, has offered recipes as well, so I think we are getting off on the right foot.

My thinking is that we will have eBooks for the Pompeii Oven, Wood-Fired Bread, Wood-Fired Cooking and Pizza (to be done later).

Does that make sense?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

XJ, James,

This is looking very good indeed. Let's pursue it. Move over, Epicure, there's a new kid on the block.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

A few suggestions --

Why not put the draft online in "Google Doc" format. You can invite people to view and edit, ala Wikipedia??

There are some good "on demand" book publishing services that could be used to get it published and sold.
        Keller TX
        Artigiano 39"
        former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
        www.leanblog.org
        http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

I'm having a Mac moment. Google docs isn't quite ready for Safari, so I am going to use Firefox.

What do you think Mark. Could we bring the beast to ground after a period of group editing (ala Wikipedia)? I think we still want to have a final document published in pdf and available for download through the FB Store. That way everyone gets a good clean copy to work from.

As a side question, are builders going to print out sections of the Pompeii pdf file for the work site?

Would oven owners print out pages of the cookbook, or even the whole thing, or primarily use it on-line?

It's interesting to think about this, and to try to kick it off on the right foot.

I will look forward to hearing what everyone thinks is best. Meanwhile, I will explore Google Docs, and start the process of collecting up oven management techniques, recipes, photos, etc. If you have something you think will be helpful, just email it to me.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Yeah, I think a wiki period could be good for initial writing and editing. I'd buy a nicely printed version of the book, especially if there are some nice pictures and such.
            Keller TX
            Artigiano 39"
            former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
            www.leanblog.org
            http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Mark,

Agreed. I took a look ant Google docs, and I think this can work. Over the next week or so, I will consolidate recipes and techniques from a range of sources -- FB.com, Mary Karlin, the Forum, etc. I will assemble it as a Google doc, and post it for open editing. At the end of an open review process, I will load it back down from Google, do final edits, and then publish it as an eBook (pdf) file on the FB Store.

The source document with all of the photos was over 100MB for the Pompeii Oven, so it's possible the review document will only have the text, not graphics. We'll see.

Mark, thanks for the recommendation. Let's see how this goes.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
              X