X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg of lamb

Hi All
    Has anyone got a good recipe for a whole leg of lamb ? I was thinking maybe
    An italian slant would be good/ wood fired of course .
    Looking forward to any replys .

Re: Leg of lamb

Try this I have done this on a closed bbq will be trying it in oven when finished.

Brown lamb all round adding garlic lemon and sage leaves [12] to pan for one minute.

Combine tomato paste [whole small tub] chicken stock [3 cups] and white wine [1cup] adding to the pan.

Cook in oven until done to liking. Turning lamb a couple of times.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hi Colin,
      Thanks for the recipe for the leg of lamb I may well give that a try on Sunday this weekend . If I do I'll let you know how it goes .
      Cheers Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonald-davis View Post
        whole leg of lamb.
        Win the Lotto did you? When we were over there some years ago you had to sell your first born to buy real meat.....

Forget all the herbs and spices, lamb done in the oven is to die for just by itself.....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Al
          I think I will just stuff lots of home grown garlic and rosemary in it and see how it goes . If I had won the lotto I wouldn't be hear I be traveling round the world drinking wine and stuffing my face.
          Cheers Mctavish.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdonald-davis View Post
            Hi Al
            I think I will just stuff lots of home grown garlic and rosemary in it and see how it goes . If I had won the lotto I wouldn't be hear I be traveling round the world drinking wine and stuffing my face.
            Cheers Mctavish.
            I don't listen either. Why travel? Fire up the oven, drink wine, stuff your face, sleep in a familiar bed.

Comment

Good lamb doesn't need too much tampering with. The garlic and rosemary and salt and pepper is all that it needs apart from a bit of care in cooking it. It is always better if you pour some wine into the cook during the cooking process.

Good Australian lamb off the saltbush country is very special although the Kiwi lamb is great also, whatever they do with it!
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Boring, all the time... Sometimes you need to be a little more adventurous.... he did ask for an Italian version of lamb in the original post.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-23-2013, 06:25 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Oh and you forgot the lemon. With the Garlic and rosemary.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    he did ask for an Italian version of lamb in the original post.
                    Im sure the Italians have lamb that tastes of lamb....
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I did a Moroccan roast lamb recently and I must say it was too die for. Succulent, tasty, and also tasted like lamb just with a little added flavor.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                        I did a Moroccan roast lamb recently and I must say it was too die for. Succulent, tasty, and also tasted like lamb just with a little added flavor.
                        Gudday
                        Moroccan lamb in a tangine is to die for, you can't get much better. By the way a tangine great for using those under 150 C temps. But if you really want that more than taste roast or tangine try goat or mutton. Goat gets a bit expensive but if you can find a butcher that supplies to an Indian restaurant you can get mutton. Lambs great for grilling and a fast cook but for a long slow roast or stew you can't go past a bit of mutton. No bloody bits in the middle mind you. Well cooked. Low heat and long cook.
                        The last mutton leg I got I had cut in 1/2. The lower 1/2 with shank attached was slow cooked in the WFO the upper went into the tangine. Both were full of flavour that you could never get out lamb at those low heats.
                        I heard it mentioned before about Saltbush lamb by Greenman. I didn't know that it was still around . My grandfather was a shearer and would bring them home alive and kicking so to speak when I was a kid . Now that was a real treat.
                        Pre salted meat .... And not just in the outside.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Had the leg of lamb on Sunday.Started the fire at11am approx and was looking for about 300 degrees cent witch was about an hour or so. We planed to eat around 2.30 ish the lamb went into the oven at12 pm stuffed with garlic and rosemary pushed into slits cut into the lamb then rubbed in olive oil and garlic salt and black pepper we the put it into a casserole dish on a bed of onions, carrots,tomatoes.buy 2pm the lamb was cooked with a nice colour and lots of juice. It was fantastic !cooked to perfection and went down a treat with a very nice bottle of Sicilian red . Also had king prawns and asparagus marinated in lemon and chillies /olive oil witch took about 5 mins took cook Great with Pino Grigo .
                          Thanks for all the replys
                          Mctavish.

Comment

Working...
                          X