X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kkgator
    replied
    Re: Thanksgiving Treats

I was thinking about the same thing. Just build coals up so the oven temp on floor is 300F to 400F? What about using the retained heat from firing pizza and no fire to cook bird? My oven once the fire goes out with a nice bed of coals still registers around 300F the next day with the door partially on. Maybe I'll experiment with a small breast to begin with and see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Thanks Les for the input, I hope many others join in.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I'll offer some input but mine is still a work in process. This year is number 3.
    Last year we brined a 20 lb bird for about 24 hours (there are a billion brine recipes, just google one that sounds good to you). We stuffed it with citrus for flavor, not the typical bead stuffing. I put it in the oven with a hearth temp of 500 degrees. I am going to try around 450 this year. We had it in about 2 hours and then removed the foil to let it brown. We pulled it out at the 3 hour mark and the internal temp was 163. As mentioned, this year I want to try 450 deg and I will remove the foil 1/2 hour before it comes out (you can see that it is a little browner than I would have liked). I know others have had better success so maybe they have more to add.

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

I'm with Bart, this is my first Thanksgiving with my WFO and I'm considering cooking the bird. Is there anyone out there with specific instruction on properly cooking a bird in the WFO?

1: Preheat instuctions
    2: Proper oven temp
    3: Appox time by weight
    4: Foil-No Foil
    5: Any other tips

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Ok then, I'll be a little more specific..........................How much time and what temperature do I cook the bird in my WFO?.................I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question...............Who else is planning on cooking a bird this thanksgiving in there WFO?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I'll be the first to respond to this thread. I have no Thanksgiving treats or recipes to share at this time but hope to soon and on thanksgiving day.

I was nominated to host our annual family thanksgiving get together. I have never cooked a turkey in a WFO, as I'm sure there are many here on the forum like myself. We need everyones help. So lets get the discussions going so we all have a successful turkey day.

Attached is a picture I took last spring as I was just starting my dome. Please help my turkey have this bird's eye view.
    Last edited by kbartman; 11-08-2013, 11:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

started a topic Thanksgiving Treats

Thanksgiving Treats

Hello everyone,
    Thanksgiving is coming and we know that many of you are getting ready to use your ovens to make delicious goodies for this special day.

We would love to see recipes and photos of your favorite foods. Please feel free to post. It's always fun to see what different foods families enjoy this time of year.

We hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween and look forward to the holidays!
Working...
X