• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Thanksgiving Treats

Gudday Steve
    I have lined up on Xmas eve so many years now its not funny, we take coffee and we even have become friendly with the people who line up with us, cause we see them yr after yr.
    We are using a different mob this time ... To date they have been great ... But you are always a bit worried being Xmas and all.
    I have never had a problem with the fisher folk .... Being ex NAVY, a bit of LUT rope with a couple of eye splices in the ends will usually result in a fresh feed for the crew.....
    Yes I agree spanners are are good feed, but a Xmas just as expensive as the blue swimmers (sandies I think in some states). Muddies are overpriced much of the time except if you get them fresh, there never really "full"
    I'm spoilt I suppose I used to go out with me 8 yr old mate and his dad and we would "bard wire" the mangroves holes whilst his father checked his traps.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Kbartman, great looking bird. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bruce,
    I hadn't had a chance to comment on how It tasted. My guest said it was the best turkey they ever tasted so I guess it was ok.
    The wet dry combo brine along with the slow smoke charcoal snake method has won merit with me. The breasts were moist and flavorful along with the rest of the bird. The charcoal snake with the pecan wood chips gave it just the right amount of smoke. I'm no fan of a heavy smoke flavor. I made turkey soup with the leftovers the hint of smoke complimented the soup and it turned out great. I was happy with the results and would do it all over again.
    Last edited by kbartman; 12-01-2013, 06:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Hey Dave - Those fishermen are a dodgy bunch, should know since I am one of them. The plan B is a great idea in case the good intentions blow out. Not sure if you have had a go at them but Spanner Crabs are the next best thing to a muddie. The only crab that I have found that freezes well and easier to pick than the blue swimmers and here they are $15/kg cleaned.

Sorry about the thread hijack. The food that Mike has put up there looks very impressive. There is some excellent food displayed here.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    That good to know .... Be even better if it could be served straight from the fridge. Xmas night is covered we are having fresh prawns (shrimp) and blue swimmer crabs. The child bride ordered them on friday. Have a promise of a mud crab from a neighbor ... But I wouldnt hold my breath, he's been working on that boat 3 months now.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Dave, we just finished the last of the salad tonight. It held up well in the fridge and tasted good chilled. You could either make the salad a day early or prepare the components and assemble when you get home. I hope you enjoy the salad as much as my gang did, please share your thoughts. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied

Dry brined the turkey & put a mustard/horseradish/panko coating on a crown pork roast. Turkey was 15 lbs & roast was 12 lbs. Took the oven temp up to 500F, equilized temp, then put the roast and the bird in. I figured the little higher temp at first would be good with that volume of meat. Both the bird & the crown came to 155-160F temp in 2.5 hrs...man, I love my oven! Used a beer can chicken rack to help support the crown roast shape during the bake. What amazes me is that the turkey was just as moist the day after Thanksgiving...no complaints at this household. By the way, my wife made the little turkeys with double stuffed Oreos, peanut butter cups, malt balls, candy corn, and a little red cake frosting (with melted chocolate to help hold some surfaces together)-food network idea.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I ran this recipe past the wife and she is very interested. It "ticks many boxes" with her , has sweet potato in it, nth African flavours , and sounds quite simple to put together. I'm under instruction to make a batch and we might possibly use it on Xmas night. We are away all day and we have to be able to produce something nice and fast for or guests when we return.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Thanks Dave,
    By the way I enjoyed reading about your Australian Thankgiving. I ran across the recipe and realized I had the essential ingredients on hand. It was easy to put together. I think it would make a great non traditional side with a turkey dinner. Hope we'll see some other side dish recipes or ideas posted.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    That recipe sounds great . By the pic you also have the orange sweet potatoe. Thanks I certainly try this one
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

I put together a sweet potato salad that everyone raved about. The recipe is from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian." I used dried cherries and a green pepper and omitted the mint or parsley. I also added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the dressing.

Recipe:

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Red Pepper Vinaigrette
    By Mark Bittman
    From the How to Cook Everything Vegetarian? app

Introduction:

Here is another potato‐vinaigrette combo: The red pepper dressing is tart, sweet, and spicy, with a touch of cumin. This is best served warm or at room temperature, though of course you can refrigerate and serve it up to a day later, as long as you take it out of the refrigerator beforehand to take the chill off.

Ingredients:

4 large sweet potatoes
    ? cup extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    ? cup red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
    1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and quartered
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest (optional)
    ? cup sliced scallion
    ? cup minced fresh mint or fresh parsley leaves
    1 or 2 fresh minced chiles (jalape?o, Thai, serrano, or habanero), or to taste
    ? cup raisins (optional)
    Steps:

Preheat the oven to 400?F. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into bite‐sized pieces. Put them on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast, turning occasionally, until crisp and brown outside and just tender inside, about 30 minutes. Remove and keep on the pan until ready to dress.
    Make the dressing while the potatoes cook. Put the remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a blender, along with the vinegar, bell pepper, cumin, and zest if you're using it. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Pur?e until smooth.
    Toss the warm potatoes with the scallion, mint, chiles, and raisins if you're using them. Add ? cup of the dressing and toss to coat, adding more if necessary. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve immediately or at room temperature.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Kbartman, great looking bird. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

The "Bird" has arrived and now resting. A little early, temperature 166F Placed in warm cooler till carving.

Leave a comment:

• kanoer54
    replied

Great thread and some tasty ideas for today. I have been invited to other relatives for today's feast but am looking forward to Christmas dinner from my wfo. Have bookmarked this thread for easy reach.

Am looking forward to seeing everyone's pics later today!!

jon

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Being closer to the date line nov 28 comes a little bit earlier in Aust
    Thanksgiving Brisbane Australia
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	857.7 KB
ID:	302645
    My wife and myself were invited to a thanksgiving at a friends place. They had originally had a thanksgiving for some American friends and kept the tradition up. A great speak by our host about the pilgrims and the meaning of thanksgiving to start the night. Turkey, ham, roast veg, corn , black eyed peas and cornbread. ( the cornbread from a visiting American) for sweets pumpkin pie.
    We sat around and discussed our year and our good fortunes big and small. Hardly anyone knew each other but a great night was had by all. I really enjoyed myself and I have a little bit more of an understanding of why its such an important holiday for the American people.
    Enjoy your day all
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Turkey was in at 7:00, charcoal snake lit, oven stabilized 300F. Pecan woodchips underneath charcoal for little more smoke. Got my finger crossed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X