Re: Dough ??? Anybody
G'day Rossco
I not sure what you mean by everybody has left?
Yes James has not moderated for a number of years and the site is not moderated as such. It's left pretty much up to the members and they do go or rather change but it seems like there is someone to pick up the batten so to speak.
Regards dave
X
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
Hello Dave - this site was certainly not an oven build site in the beginning. It had build info, but predominantly focussed on cooking. The other site mentioned has always been around too but i never found that as collaborative and supportive as FB was. Not sure why everyone has left... Pity though... I learned so much from others here...
Originally posted by cobblerdave View PostGudday Rossco
I think Tscar said it the other day when he stated that this was primarily a WFO building site. He also mentioned pizzamaking.com as a place where folk talked about pizza of all type. No my thing but if you like to get AR over pizza that the site for you.
Myself I still learn something new and the recipes and things that come out are more than interesting. Kleftico and the Tuscan grill have had me interested for months and they have come of this site.
Regards dave
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
I agree w/Tscar in regards to not really measuring things. Tons of people saying "do this" & "do that". Use a scale not volume measurement. Well, I live in Florida where the humidity & temperature play an important factor into how much yeast am I going to use today or how much water. You can always add more flour or more water to your dough based on its' consistency. When I first started to make dough I followed a set recipe. I still use the same set recipe:
4cups KA Bread Flour
2cups H2O
1/2TSP Instant or 1TBSP ADY
1TSP Sea Salt
Sometimes I'll add a cup or 2 of High Gluten flour for strength and other times not. I'm making pizza for me & what I think that pizza should be based on my criteria. You need to find what style that you want to make and emulate that style.
The biggest hurdle when first starting to make dough is to wade through tons of recipes. Start with what you want your end result to be & work backwards. As a former engineer turned WFO Caterer, it's about the process for me. I want to get from Point A to Point B & I went about it by trial & effort with a little scientific method and a lot of pizza before I really understood how to make dough.
I've learned that while everyone may have a slightly different means by which they not only mix & proof/ferment their dough, they also will use different flours & yeast combos but the process is still the same. Mix ingredients together, let dough rise/ferment, make into balls, then make into pies.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
The Italians do the same thing, pretty much, as do I but I go with a set amount of flour and variable amount of water.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
G'dayOriginally posted by NativeAmericanPizzaioli View PostOne liter of water
1/4 Cup salt
1/2 Tsp yeast
Flour - weight will depend on several factors like moisture content and type but in general you will want to mix in enough to make a slurry initially and the flour is continuously added in small increments until you reach your desired range . The initial mixing should take about ten minutes and then you will need to knead the dough by hand for 70 minutes unless using a mixer and hook , then you will mix on low for 20 minutes
The dough should not stick to the bowl when done mixing and the bowl should be fairly clean . From there I usually allow it to proof until doubled and then I ball and either place them in refrigerator for up to five days unless using the same day , then you will want them to stay at room temp for a few hours before stretch and cook ..
Hope this is of help - I went through hell and high water to learn this recipe and its tricky but sticky lol
Now that's an interesting reciepe for dough. No measure of flour at all. I'm used to finding the flour is the first ingredient measure at the top of the ingredients list. Mines the simplest 500 gm flour 325 ml water tspn salt satchet of yeast.
Starting with the flour first then adding the water. Must admit adding more water to the dough is hard then. I'm going to give you method a go and add the flour to the water, I've cooked enough to know that easier, I can think why I didn't see that before.
Thanks
Regards dave
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
Gudday RosscoOriginally posted by heliman View PostThis forum used to be abuzz with people sharing pizza, bread and other tasty recipes, but sadly, no more. I would have thought that once the build is over, the owners of ovens start to cook. It is a pity if they go elsewhere to gather and share cooking ideas - but that looks to have already happened.
I think Tscar said it the other day when he stated that this was primarily a WFO building site. He also mentioned pizzamaking.com as a place where folk talked about pizza of all type. No my thing but if you like to get AR over pizza that the site for you.
Myself I still learn something new and the recipes and things that come out are more than interesting. Kleftico and the Tuscan grill have had me interested for months and they have come of this site.
Regards dave
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
I think its the lack of Administration tbh .. I have been waiting a week to be able to have permission to postOriginally posted by heliman View PostThis forum used to be abuzz with people sharing pizza, bread and other tasty recipes, but sadly, no more. I would have thought that once the build is over, the owners of ovens start to cook. It is a pity if they go elsewhere to gather and share cooking ideas - but that looks to have already happened.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
The problem I find is that I cook, I eat, forgetting to take photo's.
Me thinks that there are recipes and cooking tips in hundreds of threads but not kept in a place where they can be easily found. Those thread exist but aren't being used.
I personally have posted a number of recipes but posted in my thread so I get they are hard to find.
Doug Cameron [KD] had a great thread on all things cooking but as he runs a business in WFO cooking had to remove his posts. Cant wait for a cook book form him ...........
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
This forum used to be abuzz with people sharing pizza, bread and other tasty recipes, but sadly, no more. I would have thought that once the build is over, the owners of ovens start to cook. It is a pity if they go elsewhere to gather and share cooking ideas - but that looks to have already happened.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
Heres the recipe for the pizza from the Guy who won best Pizza in the World
Everyday Gourmet
Good Food - World's best pizza made in Melbourne
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
One liter of water
1/4 Cup salt
1/2 Tsp yeast
Flour - weight will depend on several factors like moisture content and type but in general you will want to mix in enough to make a slurry initially and the flour is continuously added in small increments until you reach your desired range . The initial mixing should take about ten minutes and then you will need to knead the dough by hand for 70 minutes unless using a mixer and hook , then you will mix on low for 20 minutes
The dough should not stick to the bowl when done mixing and the bowl should be fairly clean . From there I usually allow it to proof until doubled and then I ball and either place them in refrigerator for up to five days unless using the same day , then you will want them to stay at room temp for a few hours before stretch and cook ..
Hope this is of help - I went through hell and high water to learn this recipe and its tricky but sticky lol
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
You could do a lot worse than hovering the cursor over "Resources" at the top of the page and clicking "Vera Pizza Napoleana" This will take you to a page where you can see the translation of the official Italian recipe.
I use ordinary supermarket plain white flour, salt, yeast and about 60 to 65% water, depending how the particular batch of flour seems to be taking up the water.
Knead it all together and let it rise. I reckon the most important thing is a nice long ferment.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
I am using this recipe and I like it. Watch the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2C6...dex=11&list=WL
I converted the measures by weight instead of volume and it works for me.
Here is the link of the recipe of the video: Susan's Cooking School-Pizza Dough
I let the dough proof in the refrigerator overnight as least.
If you can use the dough right away but you might have to roll it because it will be too tough to stretch it by hand. But if you leave the dough in the refrigerator at least overnight, it will be super soft to stretch it by hand.
A real pleasure.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
Bubb,Originally posted by Bubb View PostYeap, all types of frozen kinds! I jump into
Things. So I'm building a 42" dome and no
Nothing about pizza dough? Learning curve.
I've posted both of my recipes previously and I'm pasting here in hopes that it will help you get started. The toughest part for you will probably be stretching the dough, but it gets very easy with practice! Even a miss shaped homemade dough eats better than anything you'll buy out.
Dough
This is my favorite recipe, I?ve been working on it for years. It is extremely simple yet needs some patients to gain texture and full flavor in the refridge. I have found 3-4 days to be my favorite, when using 80* water in the beginning. I've made it and used it the same day with decent results and have also had one dough that was over a week old that was very good, near sour dough flavor. Try to at least leave it chill overnight, what happens to the dough over time in the Refridge makes an awesome flavored, light bubbly dough with just the right amount of chew.
What I've listed for the water temperature below is what has worked best for me when I do a slow rise. Use 120* water if making pizza the same day and kick the amount of yeast up 1/2 tsp.
This recipe makes Qty: 2 Size: 13-14" pizzas
? 370g High Gluten Flour
? 250g 80* water
? 1 tsp rapid rise yeast
? 1.5 tsp fine sea salt
Techniques:
? Weigh water and flour. The salt & yeast I use a measuring spoon
? I use a HD food a processor ?FP?, I've done it by hand, by stand mixer and combination, the FP does it best IMHO
? Pulse together dry ingredients in FP. Flour and salt first then add yeast.
? Run FP full on and add all the water at once and continue running for 45 seconds, it's done!
? Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and divide dough in half; form into a ball, putting each in a sealed, lightly oiled round 2qt plastic container or dough bin. Spray top of dough also. Immediately refrigerate for 3-4 days, one or two will work.
? Remove dough?s from refridge an hour, no more than two hours before making pizzas. If doing a large party, put them in a cooler and take them out as needed ahead.
Must do's and don?ts:
? Try not to degas while stretching dough! Lightly flour both sides of dough and gently press out the width of the crust edge you want going around the dough with your finger tips on a floured surface. Then pick up dough and smack it back and forth between both hands until it becomes unmanageably large. Then using floured fists, gently stretch dough while turning constantly. Once it's at the size you want lay on peel or counter and make your pizza
? If making on a peel use semolina for sliding off, not corn meal.
? Use High Gluten flour from Sam's Club, Gordon foods, King Author any good quality hi gluten.
? Don?t overdo the sauce or overdo the toppings!
? I like a mixture of provolone and mozzarella cheese.
? I am now using this recipe in my newly constructed Wood Fired Oven with amazing results with floor at around 700*-750*F in front of active fire. I?ve been doing it for years in my house gas oven with a brick insert that has been preheated at least an hour at 550* with very good results.
? Extra dough the next day, hmm. Having a salad or pasta? Preheat your gas grill, stretch the dough like you?re going to make pizza without shaping crust edge, throw it on your hot grill. As soon as it sets up take tongs flip it over finish that side. Remove and smother the entire top with a mixture of Olive oil and melted butter with brush, sprinkle with granulated garlic, garlic salt and parmesan cheese. When done, remove, cut into whatever shape hits you and serve hot to the delight of others and yourself!
Sauce
Sauce to me is as individual a taste as any component of pizza. I searched for years for the perfect recipe that gave me the flavor I craved from my favorite brick oven pizza shop "De Lucia's" in Raritan Nj.
After I made many very good sauces over the years, and spent lots of money on Imported ingredients, none overly wow'd me. Finally, one day out of pure laziness and time constraints I dumped out a can of Red Pack brand crushed tomatoes. I added a little basil, a little oregano and a little granulated garlic and spread it on my home made dough, it was amazing. It was one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten. I think sauce is another one of the less is more parts of pizza. My typical method of making sauce now is just adding minimal ingredients to crushed tomatoes. Try different brands until you land on one you like.
I know, I know. No San Marzano, No saut?ed this and that? No cooking all day and only on a full moon. Yes, just dumped out of a can, everyday crushed tomatoes, uncooked and spooned onto a fresh dough. I love it! But like I said from the beginning, it's all a matter of a persons individuals taste and mine stems from growing up eating some of the best NY style pizza in the world in NJ.
? Drinking beer is a must during any and all above steps.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Dough ??? Anybody
Here are a couple I use regularly in the WFO:
On the left:
4 cups AT bromated
1 cup semolina
3 cups water
2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp ADY
On the right:
5 cups Caputo 00
3 cups water
2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp ADY
Both are hand mixed for a minute or two, bulk risen at 60-80 to the doubling point, then dumped onto the bench and stretched and folded 6 or 7 times, divided, balled and put into the cups for a 24-72 hour ferment.
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: