Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dough ??? Anybody

Originally posted by heliman View Post
    This forum used to be abuzz with people sharing pizza, bread and other tasty recipes, but sadly, no more. I would have thought that once the build is over, the owners of ovens start to cook. It is a pity if they go elsewhere to gather and share cooking ideas - but that looks to have already happened.
    Gudday Rossco
    I think Tscar said it the other day when he stated that this was primarily a WFO building site. He also mentioned pizzamaking.com as a place where folk talked about pizza of all type. No my thing but if you like to get AR over pizza that the site for you.
    Myself I still learn something new and the recipes and things that come out are more than interesting. Kleftico and the Tuscan grill have had me interested for months and they have come of this site.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by NativeAmericanPizzaioli View Post
      One liter of water
      1/4 Cup salt
      1/2 Tsp yeast
      Flour - weight will depend on several factors like moisture content and type but in general you will want to mix in enough to make a slurry initially and the flour is continuously added in small increments until you reach your desired range . The initial mixing should take about ten minutes and then you will need to knead the dough by hand for 70 minutes unless using a mixer and hook , then you will mix on low for 20 minutes

The dough should not stick to the bowl when done mixing and the bowl should be fairly clean . From there I usually allow it to proof until doubled and then I ball and either place them in refrigerator for up to five days unless using the same day , then you will want them to stay at room temp for a few hours before stretch and cook ..

Hope this is of help - I went through hell and high water to learn this recipe and its tricky but sticky lol
      G'day
      Now that's an interesting reciepe for dough. No measure of flour at all. I'm used to finding the flour is the first ingredient measure at the top of the ingredients list. Mines the simplest 500 gm flour 325 ml water tspn salt satchet of yeast.
      Starting with the flour first then adding the water. Must admit adding more water to the dough is hard then. I'm going to give you method a go and add the flour to the water, I've cooked enough to know that easier, I can think why I didn't see that before.
      Thanks
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once

My Build
      My Door

Comment

The Italians do the same thing, pretty much, as do I but I go with a set amount of flour and variable amount of water.

Comment

I agree w/Tscar in regards to not really measuring things. Tons of people saying "do this" & "do that". Use a scale not volume measurement. Well, I live in Florida where the humidity & temperature play an important factor into how much yeast am I going to use today or how much water. You can always add more flour or more water to your dough based on its' consistency. When I first started to make dough I followed a set recipe. I still use the same set recipe:
          4cups KA Bread Flour
          2cups H2O
          1/2TSP Instant or 1TBSP ADY
          1TSP Sea Salt

Sometimes I'll add a cup or 2 of High Gluten flour for strength and other times not. I'm making pizza for me & what I think that pizza should be based on my criteria. You need to find what style that you want to make and emulate that style.

The biggest hurdle when first starting to make dough is to wade through tons of recipes. Start with what you want your end result to be & work backwards. As a former engineer turned WFO Caterer, it's about the process for me. I want to get from Point A to Point B & I went about it by trial & effort with a little scientific method and a lot of pizza before I really understood how to make dough.

I've learned that while everyone may have a slightly different means by which they not only mix & proof/ferment their dough, they also will use different flours & yeast combos but the process is still the same. Mix ingredients together, let dough rise/ferment, make into balls, then make into pies.

Comment

Hello Dave - this site was certainly not an oven build site in the beginning. It had build info, but predominantly focussed on cooking. The other site mentioned has always been around too but i never found that as collaborative and supportive as FB was. Not sure why everyone has left... Pity though... I learned so much from others here...

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
            Gudday Rossco
            I think Tscar said it the other day when he stated that this was primarily a WFO building site. He also mentioned pizzamaking.com as a place where folk talked about pizza of all type. No my thing but if you like to get AR over pizza that the site for you.
            Myself I still learn something new and the recipes and things that come out are more than interesting. Kleftico and the Tuscan grill have had me interested for months and they have come of this site.
            Regards dave
            / Rossco

Comment

G'day Rossco
              I not sure what you mean by everybody has left?
              Yes James has not moderated for a number of years and the site is not moderated as such. It's left pretty much up to the members and they do go or rather change but it seems like there is someone to pick up the batten so to speak.

Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Working...
              X