No announcement yet.

72 hour rise pizza dough (Caputo Flour)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 hour rise pizza dough (Caputo Flour)

Hi All~

I'm trying to experiment with 72 hour fermented pizza dough... just wondering if anyone has blogged or documented how the dough changes over 24/48/72 hours... My current batch is 24 hours in and it hasn't changed much. The IDY % is the lowest i've ever used.. 0.04%. I don't see any bubbles forming under the dough.

I found this simple recipe on the net (i think from pizzamaking's site)... and was trying to follow it

100% Caputo Pizzeria
    60% Water
    2.8% Salt
    .04% IDY

Do you think the IDY % is correct for a 3 day rise? should it be 0.4%?

Re: 72 hour rise pizza dough (Caputo Flour)

That is very low, but it should be alright. You may have to counter rise it before use, but it certainly won't be blown out.

Comment

I find my dough gets too sticky to handle after 48 hours
      I like 24
      But Im willing to be converted if there is something better

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        That is very low, but it should be alright. You may have to counter rise it before use, but it certainly won't be blown out.
        Hi Tscarborough,

What do you mean by counter rise? Leave it out longer... put it in a warm place.. things like that??

Cheers~

Gummz

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
          I find my dough gets too sticky to handle after 48 hours
          I like 24
          But Im willing to be converted if there is something better
          Ello TropicalC,

I made 6 balls from the original batch... the one i took out to "analyse" looks.. hmmm dead in a way... i'll take another out tomorrow to see the difference an extra 24h has made.

I too usually use 24 hours.. but i wanted to try longer and i can get caputo flour now... got excited

If its sticky can we dust it with flour/semolina to firm up the skin and then shape it?

Comment

Yes, counter rise means at room temp, 65-75 degrees.

Comment

I always cold ferment my dough for at least 3 days sometimes longer. I use the recipe found here on the Forum from FornoBravo. I take it out about 1 hour before we are ready to make the pizza's. I found that letting it ferment gives it a great "sour dough" type taste.

Comment

Originally posted by gummz View Post
                Ello TropicalC,

If its sticky can we dust it with flour/semolina to firm up the skin and then shape it?
                I probably could but it just more of a does the additional inconvenience justify the additional improvident in taste thing.
                I still need convincing.

Comment

I have been using a variation of the 'Pizza Dough by Weight' recipe from this forum and baling it up after the first rise and into the fridge in separate containers. I have found 2 days to be good and after that it tends to get a bit of a grey death mask.

The temperatures are probably the critical element and with daytime temps being >30C or @90F it probably puts the yeast into overdrive!

Using the wine fridge was discussed on the forum recently and that probably has plenty of merit in our summer particularly.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                    I have been using a variation of the 'Pizza Dough by Weight' recipe from this forum and baling it up after the first rise and into the fridge in separate containers. I have found 2 days to be good and after that it tends to get a bit of a grey death mask.

The temperatures are probably the critical element and with daytime temps being >30C or @90F it probably puts the yeast into overdrive!

Using the wine fridge was discussed on the forum recently and that probably has plenty of merit in our summer particularly.
                    Not all yeast ..my wine yeast dies to a stop @+30

Comment

Well, for better results dough ball has to keep in the fridge for at least 2 days. Also take care that before baking, let dough come to normal room temperature. This cooling time is important for the elasticity of the dough, which allows you to starch in circular shape. This gives the information about the dough changes over 24/48/72 hours.

Comment

Joe i read also in other forum that many people leave the dough for 2 days in room temperature.
                        I don't know if the result is the same but the photos of the pies are perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by George_M View Post
                          Joe i read also in other forum that many people leave the dough for 2 days in room temperature.
                          I don't know if the result is the same but the photos of the pies are perfect!
                          All the above mentioned activities are needed to make a perfect dough. Keeping it for a long time, till the dough reaches room temperature, will give you a crispy crust. It is important to preheat the oven up to 500 degrees before baking.

Comment

Room temperature is a quite deceptive term. At this time of year here daytime room temperature is >30 C and up to 35 C or 85 to 95 Fahrenheit. I expect that it being your winter it is a lot less than that in Greece.

I slow ferment my dough in the refrigerator for a couple of days. I could not contemplate leaving it on the bench for a few days.

I expect that it takes a little trial and error to get it right for your locality and season unless you have a controlled environment to work in. Inside the fridge is my version of a controlled environment.
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I usually go 24-48 hours in the fridge to allow the dough to slow ferment and relax... then a couple hours on the counter before making pizza. This time of year temperatures are around 68-70 F. in the kitchen.
                              Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
                              40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Working...
                              X