16x11" door hight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16x11" door hight

Hi, I started to build 32" oven and wondering now: how big turkey I can push in with this door size?

Re: 16x11" door hight

Butterflied or intact?

Comment

I'm curious about intact, short of going in a store with tape measure

Comment

My opening height is 11.75" (about 30 mm) and I've done a 16 pound (7.2 Kg) with no problems. Also something to think about is the pan you'll be using. My turkey pan/roaster has an insert that lifts the bird up (out of the drippings). So you need to be aware of both the pan width and added height of any rack you may use. After I did a dry brine on the turkey and put it in the rack, it settled/spread out slightly. There was plenty of clearance when I slid it into the oven, I'm pretty sure that I could have done a 20 pound turkey easily. Also be aware that with a bigger bird it will be closer to the dome while cooking and you may need to cover it with foil to prevent "over browning".

p.s. I actually did take a tape measure with me to the store...
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks. All wanted to know plus extra. Nice pictures!

Comment

Stopped by Costco this afternoon and they had their turkeys on "day after Thanksgiving sale". We picked up a 21.7 pound turkey and of course I had to measure it. So, in my roaster--on the roaster rack--the bird is 9 1/4" high. Looks like we could easily fit a 25 pounder in our oven opening...but since there's only two of us...

Anyway. we've got it going with a dry brine and will roast the beast in the oven Monday--I somehow suspect there will be a party of some sort. Hope you have a great bake!
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

We usually do a 4.2 kilo here (9.5 ish pounds)
              So Im ready even with a small oven
              I might have to go Turducken to get more bang for my buck

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
                We usually do a 4.2 kilo here (9.5 ish pounds)
                So Im ready even with a small oven
                I might have to go Turducken to get more bang for my buck
                I had to search for Turducken and found this : five-bird roast - a goose, a turkey, a chicken, a pheasant, and a pigeon, stuffed with sausage.....

Comment

Just found

In his 1807 Almanach des Gourmands, gastronomist Grimod de La Reyni?re presents his r?ti sans pareil ("roast without equal")?a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an ortolan bunting and a garden warbler?
                  apparently you stuff the warbler with a olive too.

I might need to get the tape measure out for that one though

or the angle grinder

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
                    Just found

In his 1807 Almanach des Gourmands, gastronomist Grimod de La Reyni?re presents his r?ti sans pareil ("roast without equal")?a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an ortolan bunting and a garden warbler?
                    apparently you stuff the warbler with a olive too.

I might need to get the tape measure out for that one though
                    or the angle grinder
                    Ultimately it's still possible to bump this recipe a natch

Comment

Working...
                    X