web analytics
OVERnight braised/stew meat - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OVERnight braised/stew meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OVERnight braised/stew meat

    hi guys, I love cooking pizza at night on my WFO. Just want to know after cooking pizza on my hot oven. the dome it self is between 250 ~ 350c and i am thinking to make some slow braised/stew dishes overnight in my wfo and shut the door so that when i wake up middle of afternoon . i will have a good meal to munch and eat.

    have you guys done anything like this before? any tips? is it better off remove all the coal? big staindless bowl stuff with brine and meat and veges... any good receipt out there? cover with lid?
    thanks

  • #2
    Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

    You really have to know your oven and when it cools down enough to braise. You don't want to put a tightly-covered pot in the oven over 121C (noted food scientist Harold McGee likes 93C) or you will boil the bejeezus out of your food. I found out the hard way that a WFO's stored heat comes at that pot from all directions and there's a lot of it, even at 200F.

    Collagen melts at far lower temps than boiling anyway. Just remember the longer you can braise (without boiling) and the lower the temp, the better the end result.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

      Originally posted by nzGilby View Post
      hi guys, I love cooking pizza at night on my WFO. Just want to know after cooking pizza on my hot oven. the dome it self is between 250 ~ 350c and i am thinking to make some slow braised/stew dishes overnight in my wfo and shut the door so that when i wake up middle of afternoon . i will have a good meal to munch and eat.

      have you guys done anything like this before? any tips? is it better off remove all the coal? big staindless bowl stuff with brine and meat and veges... any good receipt out there? cover with lid?
      thanks
      That fairly simple if your oven is well insulated, for overnight cooking I let the oven cool down to about 71C up to 82C depending on the toughness of the meat and the hours I want to sleep. Stainless is not idea for braising, cast iron, clayware crockery with a well fitted lid is best. Brown the meat first, place meat and veggie in pot cover with liquid(water, wine, or beer) of your choice. I would not use brine. If you are up after the first 4 hours of cooking you can check the pot and give it a stir, add a little more liquid the keep the top of the meat from drying and go back to bed. In the morning mix a tablespoon of flour into a cup of liquid from the pot, stir it up and pour it back to thicken up the sauce. If there are young ones around, I add dried fruits (cherries, raisins or prunes) for a little healthy sweetness. Hope this help.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

        Depending on your oven it may take some time to cool enough to braise after cooking pizza. I usually use mine for low slow cooking 36 hours after the pizza fire. Shin beef and oxtail are great subjects for this style of cooking and my favourite is to put the vegetables in towards the end of the cook making it into a 'one pot wonder'. For a braising liquid I usually use stock with the addition of either dry red wine or stout.

        It is simple, easy and very tasty once you figure how you like it and the performance of your oven.

        Your wonderful lamb would come up a treat. Good luck with it.
        Cheers ......... Steve

        Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

        Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

        Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

          Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          That fairly simple if your oven is well insulated, for overnight cooking I let the oven cool down to about 71C up to 82C depending on the toughness of the meat and the hours I want to sleep. Stainless is not idea for braising, cast iron, clayware crockery with a well fitted lid is best. Brown the meat first, place meat and veggie in pot cover with liquid(water, wine, or beer) of your choice. I would not use brine. If you are up after the first 4 hours of cooking you can check the pot and give it a stir, add a little more liquid the keep the top of the meat from drying and go back to bed. In the morning mix a tablespoon of flour into a cup of liquid from the pot, stir it up and pour it back to thicken up the sauce. If there are young ones around, I add dried fruits (cherries, raisins or prunes) for a little healthy sweetness. Hope this help.
          wow thanks for tips

          When u say brown the meat first do u mean just lay the meat on a foil/ pan and put in a hot wfo for few minutes and take it out?

          how much water? just enough to cover the meat from what i research right? thanks ya

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

            Originally posted by Greenman View Post
            Depending on your oven it may take some time to cool enough to braise after cooking pizza. I usually use mine for low slow cooking 36 hours after the pizza fire. Shin beef and oxtail are great subjects for this style of cooking and my favourite is to put the vegetables in towards the end of the cook making it into a 'one pot wonder'. For a braising liquid I usually use stock with the addition of either dry red wine or stout.

            It is simple, easy and very tasty once you figure how you like it and the performance of your oven.

            Your wonderful lamb would come up a treat. Good luck with it.

            after 24 hours i think mine sitting on 150c.

            as you mentioned put the veges in the end... u mean put it inside the pot and put it back to oven to cook for few mins right?

            now i have a party coming and i really want to know how you guys keep it warm. lets say i am braising the meat at 10pm and my guest will arrived next day 6pm... do i take it out around 3pm and put it back at 5pm? or just leave it in the oven and lets it braised and served at 6pm? what is the best solution for it?

            thank you so much

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

              Originally posted by nzGilby View Post
              wow thanks for tips

              When u say brown the meat first do u mean just lay the meat on a foil/ pan and put in a hot wfo for few minutes and take it out?

              how much water? just enough to cover the meat from what i research right? thanks ya
              No, browning means to place butter or oil in a fry pan and heating it below the smoking point and brown the meat on all side, caramelizing the meat quickly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                Originally posted by nzGilby View Post
                after 24 hours i think mine sitting on 150c.

                as you mentioned put the veges in the end... u mean put it inside the pot and put it back to oven to cook for few mins right?

                now i have a party coming and i really want to know how you guys keep it warm. lets say i am braising the meat at 10pm and my guest will arrived next day 6pm... do i take it out around 3pm and put it back at 5pm? or just leave it in the oven and lets it braised and served at 6pm? what is the best solution for it?

                thank you so much
                Yes, the veg into the braise and back in the oven to cook until they are done, probably about 45 minutes depending on how big you cut them.

                The best way to get the food out hot at the right time would be to do a trial run and see how long it takes to cook and do the maths backward from when you want it.

                By the way, my favourite pot is a plain cast iron camp oven.
                Cheers ......... Steve

                Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

                Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

                Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                  Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                  Yes, the veg into the braise and back in the oven to cook until they are done, probably about 45 minutes depending on how big you cut them.

                  The best way to get the food out hot at the right time would be to do a trial run and see how long it takes to cook and do the maths backward from when you want it.

                  By the way, my favourite pot is a plain cast iron camp oven.
                  but the thing is i work in the morning and dont have time to cook. what is your methods of warming dishes from wfo thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                    G'day
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...tml#post161062
                    This is a reciepe that breaks all the rules.
                    Trust me and do his reciepe with no cheating and you'll be shocked by the results.
                    High temps and 6 Hours Cooking Time ( no peaking)
                    Don't pre brown trust the oven to do the mallard effect for you.
                    Seal completely with no extra liquid, no holes in the foil
                    You don't have to cook to pizza and wait for days for the oven to cool. You flash it up with a good gut full of wood and burn for a least an hour.
                    First time you'll watch it like a hawk and only feed the family.
                    After you discover it works you'll do like I do. Flash the oven up and throw it in then leave for the morning and come back to only open the oven up when your guests are there.
                    This is truly a signature dish of the wood fired oven.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

                    My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                      Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      G'day
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...tml#post161062
                      This is a reciepe that breaks all the rules.
                      Trust me and do his reciepe with no cheating and you'll be shocked by the results.
                      High temps and 6 Hours Cooking Time ( no peaking)
                      Don't pre brown trust the oven to do the mallard effect for you.
                      Seal completely with no extra liquid, no holes in the foil
                      You don't have to cook to pizza and wait for days for the oven to cool. You flash it up with a good gut full of wood and burn for a least an hour.
                      First time you'll watch it like a hawk and only feed the family.
                      After you discover it works you'll do like I do. Flash the oven up and throw it in then leave for the morning and come back to only open the oven up when your guests are there.
                      This is truly a signature dish of the wood fired oven.
                      Regards dave
                      Hi Dave,

                      You have actually done this using his method? Also you have expanded the cooking time from his 4hour to 6 hours and still achieved sucess? Wow, thats a game changer on slow cooking, looking forward to seeing your next dish.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                        I too, am amazed at the effectiveness of this different 'high and slow' style of cooking. Colin (oasis cdm) first introduced me to the concept via his cherished kleftico recipe. I haven't made it yet, but the WFO has to be the perfect vehicle to cook it in.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                          We put a Le Creuset casserole pot in with our usual recipe for beef with a cup more water after the oven has fallen to about 250c.
                          Door shut.
                          24hrs later bingo.
                          No dramas no drying out.
                          Whereabouts are you Gilby, I'm in Aucks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                            Looks Good

                            What do you put in with the Beef and what cut of beef do you use?

                            David

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: OVERnight braised/stew meat

                              Called gravy beef here, very cheap cut.
                              Beef stock cube to make a stock, tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, mixed dried herbs.
                              Enough liquid to cover the meat and a little bit more :-)
                              You can see from the picture how much liquid was cooked off.
                              Very successful.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X