Lodge Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodge Cast Iron

Tim's picture of his various cast iron pans (and the recipes that work best with cast iron) inspired me to contact Lodge -- and Forno Bravo can become a Lodge dealer. It's that merchant gene again.

I was thinking of carrying a large grill pan/griddle, a standard size cast iron pan, and a dutch oven.

Does anyone have any favorites, or recommendations here? What do you use the most?

I looked at some of the less expensive products, but I think using the real thing in a brick oven is a good idea. Let me know what you think.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Lodge Cast Iron

James,

Just uploaded a pic of one of my favorite cast iron pots. Have a look. I like it because of the size, weight and the cast-in handles. It was given to me as a gift, so I know very little about it, other than it was purchased in Germany about ten years ago.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I love all the cast iron pans but find I use the largest cast frying pans I can find.

Always season well with oil after cleaning (even baked it on in the oven!)

I was just thinking about trying an upside down cake in a cast fry pan...anyone done that with your wood oven?
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

XJ,

Never tried an upside down cake, but I've made my grandmother's Irish pan bread in a fry pan lots of times. Basically, it's just soda bread, but you can make fine corn bread the same way. Works a charm, as our down under members would say.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

James, I have a Lodge pot with lid and stainless handle (2 quart? - it's about 9 inches diameter.) I also have a round Lodge pan that is about 18" with low sides. Like a frying pan without a handle.

I love the stuff. It comes preseasoned or not, I guess you would want to suss out which is the better method, no reason to inventory both.
          - JC

Comment

As a traditional little Southern girl I wouldn't buy pre-seasoned - cast iron is best when you season it yourself (or even better - when your Grandmother seasoned it for you! ).

Now I gotta go find my corn pone pans...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

We did it. We've added two skillets, a dutch oven and a two-sided griddle to the FB Store -- and I went for the big guys. They still fit through your oven opening, but they will hold a lot of food (and a lot of heat). Sorry Archena, my grandmother didn't have time to season each one, so we went of the line called Lodge Logic -- pre seasoned in huge gas-fired ovens. :-)

I know it's too modern, but they convinced me it's better -- and that it eliminates the problem of pans that aren't seasoned correctly.

It's in the FB Store here.

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Cook...p-1-c-250.html

Enjoy,
              James
              Last edited by james; 05-12-2007, 05:05 AM.
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That's okay - not much I need in the cast iron department anyway. My Grandmother did a great job on the stuff she left to me!

May eventually try a grill, though.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

James,

I believe there is a "typo" in the description of the dutch oven listed in the FB store. Isn't the diameter 12", not 20"?

RT

Comment

Got it.
                    Thanks.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                    X