Mandolin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandolin

This is completely off topic -- other than one of the recipes that we added to the WF Pizza e-Book calls for thinly sliced onions done in a Mandolin -- but we are making fish and chips for dinner this evening, and there is no better way to make chips than with a Mandolin.

Does everybody have one? Highly recommended.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Mandolin

re you referring to the stand mandolin's with adjustable blades used by professional and serious home chefs or the simple V-slicer which is more reasonably price.

I use V-slicer. Great for getting consistent thickness for scalloped potatoes or onions.

Comment

I have this cheapo V-slicer and it is excellent!

Amazon.com: Swissmar Borner V-Slicer Plus: Home & Garden

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

A mandolin that is not a stringed musical instrument - what will they think of next

Comment

Hello Patrick,
          Welcome back from the great north. I checked with Google, and the stringed musical instrument and the food appliance are spelled the same. I have a pretty nice one from Amazon (who are those guys?). It does different thicknesses of chips, and the main blade can he removed and sharpened. Which you cannot do with a plucked string instrument.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Funny, I always thought a mandolin made music and a mandoline made slices. I have no idea where I picked that up.

Invaluable instrument in the kitchen (both are, come to think of it). My Ex scooped ours in the Great Possession Redistribution and I miss it. The most basic model is perfectly adequate for home use. Think I'll drop these folks a line: Mandolines and Other Slicers
            Last edited by Alfredo; 06-06-2007, 01:33 PM.
            Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Ciao Alfredo,
              Mi dispiace. Sorry about that. The one I have is a pretty dense grey plastic, with removable blades. I've never cut myself, and I alway use the guide that pushes the veggies. Go for it.

I donated a bottle of Peroni for the beer batter.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have a V-slicer and its a great tool, but as soon as you get over confident and decide not to use the guide it will bite you. After neatly slicing 1mm off one finger I now always use the guide.
                Once bitten twice shy?
                Bill
                Tutto Fumo e niente arrosto!

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                  Hello Patrick,
                  Welcome back from the great north. I checked with Google, and the stringed musical instrument and the food appliance are spelled the same. I have a pretty nice one from Amazon (who are those guys?). It does different thicknesses of chips, and the main blade can he removed and sharpened. Which you cannot do with a plucked string instrument.
                  James
                  * emphasis mine

Sure you can! It would be really messy and the guy who owns it will be really mad at you but mandolin strings will work like a cheese slicer....

Okay, I'm leaving now....
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

I got one from my wife for Christmas - it is an extremely useful kitchen tool. I use the guide AND a protective glove. If I cut my hand enough to need stitches, I'm out of work (surgeon).

It makes GREAT waffle fries.
                    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

When I was in the restaurant business, we never used the guide, which was deemed a nuisance. We always wore a cut resistant woven glove on the hand used to hold whatever we wanted to slice, julienne, batonnet, or gaufrette. Although I tolerate getting burned (that seemed to happen often enough), I've never much enjoyed getting cut, and, I'm happy to say, I've never cut myself while using the mandolin while wearing the glove. And they are, indeed, a wonderful tool. Try slicing fresh white mushrooms very thinly on the mandolin, then deep frying them till browned and crisp. Season with salt and enjoy.
                      Ron

Comment

My wife got me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I don't use it too often because it is "just one more thing to clean"... but when making lots of little veggie pieces it is indispensible.

I'm looking for a mandolin, the stringed tool for cutting pasta... but haven't found a source yet.

In general, though, there doesn't seem to be anything that my old, trusty, no-name carbon steel 10" chef knife won't cut up for me. all other tools are basically supplemental!
                        Last edited by BrianShaw; 08-27-2007, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Brian

Is this what you're referring to?

Pasta Chitarra - Kitchen - NapaStyle
                          Oven Progress
                          Bread Photos
                          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Indeed. Leave it to me to confuse a guitar with a mandolin. Thanks for the lead!

Comment

Originally posted by rberg02 View Post
                              When I was in the restaurant business, we never used the guide, which was deemed a nuisance. We always wore a cut resistant woven glove on the hand used to hold whatever we wanted to slice, julienne, batonnet, or gaufrette. Although I tolerate getting burned (that seemed to happen often enough), I've never much enjoyed getting cut, and, I'm happy to say, I've never cut myself while using the mandolin while wearing the glove. And they are, indeed, a wonderful tool. Try slicing fresh white mushrooms very thinly on the mandolin, then deep frying them till browned and crisp. Season with salt and enjoy.
                              Ron
                              I never thought of this!

But Im gonna try it!

Sounds great
                              My thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                              My costs:
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                              My pics:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                              X