Using Stainless steel cookware???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Stainless steel cookware???

So far I've use a couple cast iron pans for cooking things like roast meat and vegetables in my brick oven. However I am currently on the lookout for something larger that will allow me to fit the roast meat and vegetables into the one thing. So my question is can you use stainless steel stuff to cook in, in a brick oven? For example a rectangular roasting dish (stainless steel)

....or would it be to thin a material (compared to cast iron) and the food would burn to easily (on the bottom)????

.....reason I ask is I saw a good price on a stainless steel roasting dish in the department store catalogue. Rather than risk my life by experimenting with my wifes teracotta cookware I'm looking at other - lets say - more safer options
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Re: Using Stainless steel cookware???

I have been using a stainless pan coated with teflon, but only for lower temp (less than 550F) cooking...

Bed Bath & Beyond Product
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Buy a ceramic tile or two and stick under it just before putting the pan in (don't heat them when heating the oven, obviously). That will get it off the direct heat and effectively give you back the mass. Buy cheap and make a few mosaics if they can't take the change in temp - it shouldn't matter to your cooking if they crack.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Drake - thanks, I can get something similar sized, like that but in stainless for AUS$20.

Archena.....whats happens if you cook directly on the oven floor with stainless....is it too hot or does it warp the pan?
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

With the caveat that I'm speaking from general, not specific, experience, it would most likely sear the bottom - I'd think straight on the floor would be great for braising or searing but not roasting or any other long term cooking.

Stainless can take the heat but I'm not sure what it tops out at since I've only rarely used it and never outside commercial kitchens. At the really high temps of an oven I definitely would use something under it. The commercial grade stuff will handle the heat fine and the home stuff can likely take some serious abuse, too, but the bottom of whatever you're cooking will probably sear like crazy without some 'insulation'.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

OK.........makes sense.

The roasting dish does have a metal rack inside which holds the meat off the bottom. However I suppose whatever drips down into the bottom of the dish may burn and that taste/smell goes up into the food.
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

What about a flat rack under the pan to lift it off the floor a bit? P.

Comment

perfect Hendo - I think I'll try that for now......as usual I'm doing things on a budget. The tile thing is probably where I am headed long term

Thanks for all the responses
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

No problem. :smile:

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hi Bacterium. Stainless commercial grade steel will stand roasting temps and long cooking times in your oven. Don't use the wifes favourite roasting pan though as some discolouration and distortion of the base is normal. Buy something dedicated to your WFO.

inishta

Comment

ok....I've got my eye on a couple, just waiting for them to go on special at the local department store.......think I will give stainless a shot as well
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
                        Hi Bacterium. Stainless commercial grade steel will stand roasting temps and long cooking times in your oven. Don't use the wifes favourite roasting pan though as some discolouration and distortion of the base is normal. Buy something dedicated to your WFO.

inishta
                        Hello there!

just tried my first batch of bread in the Forno del Gallo, using a sourdough/yeast mix with wholemeal flour in a rather substantial stainless steel dish.

Not only did the coals surrounding the pan at some distance still manage to burn the sides (see pic 1) but the hot floor tiles managed to scorch the bottom of the bread through the pan (pic 2).

Surprisingly, the top of the bread remained quite light after some 30 min in the WFO...

Cheers,

LMH
                        "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Working...
                        X