drying fruit in the oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drying fruit in the oven

We bought a bunch of apples and thought we'd try drying them in the oven instead of our electric dehydrator. The oven temp. was 135 F two days after a pizza bake. We put our sliced apples on our plastic trays that came with the dehydrator. First we had it closed up tight but a few hours later we decided it would be too moist in there to dry them so we slid the door back so it could vent. This was more than 24 hours ago and they have a long way to go. The temp has dropped down to 90 something. Has anyone ever dried fruit, veggies or meat in their oven. If so, how did you do it? It seems like maybe there needs to be a fan involved. Or......maybe we should stick to the way we always did it. I'm hoping someone has some ideas.

Karen

Re: drying fruit in the oven

Karen,

I wouldn't use the plastic pans. Try cooling racks instead, and don't leave the door ajar. You could go for a somewhat higher temp that way.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

We're trying the cooling racks tomorrow. Pizza tonight, then apple pie. Oven should be good by tomorrow afternoon. You don't think the moisture needs to escape? Will the brick absorb it? Thanks for your input. Karen

Comment

Karen,

Frankly, no, I don't think the moisture needs to "escape." You're dealing with a large area that's fairly warm. As in all things WFO, experimentation is needed, but that's the way I'd go at first, at least.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
        X