Yeast Activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yeast Activity

We made yeast rolls for some of our customers here in the south for the holidays...simple, direct and very yeasty...they were really off our radar(to steal one of Jims lines)...made them at Thanksgiving and there was a higher demand for them at Christmas...go figure...and these are some of my best hearth bread customers
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch,

I've had a similar experience with plain, white pan bread, rolls and, believe it, biscuits. I'd use the biscuit flour available in the South (forget the name), but it's not available here. There's plenty of room, as Drake points out, for all types of bread so long as it's real. I'm sure we've all had a yen for a Mars Bar, Almond Joy, Pepsi and whatnot.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Jim
        I so agree...some things are just sooo good...tried something quite interesting in the past few days in the modern oven...bavarian pumpernickel...the one that is really dense and moist and uses cooked rye berries...flavor was great but have to work on technique as the handling is quite different than that of what I am used to
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
          I'd use the biscuit flour available in the South (forget the name), but it's not available here.
          White Lily? or Martha White? A long, long time ago when I did business in the South I'd bring an extra suitcase to bring back a supply of these flours. Oh, what I'd give to have a local source!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
            From the Fleischmann's ADY packet: "yada x3"
            The "rules" are in my opinion a bit more flexible than they say. The jar (an old spagetti sauce jar) full of ADY in my freezer has been there 2 years and it is still quite vibrant. I use it directly out of the freezer and most often don't melt/proof it - it just gets dumped into the the flour pile and activated from there.

Sure, ADY is cheap enough to throw out... but there is a bit of Scottish/Yankee thriftiness left in me that compels me to keep using it if it still works... and it is still working into its third year in the freezer.

Thanks to all for the confessions re: white bread - that was my only bread-baking accomplishment over the holiday break. To kill the curse, I rolled cinnimon sugar into it and make what my wife characterized as "just as good as what comes from the store shelf". I suppose that is a compliment.

Comment

Brian,

White Lily is what I remember. A local friend of mine is originally from Nashville. He told me that years back Flat and Scruggs did the jingle for that flour. Next time he goes "down home" I'll ask him to bring some back. Then all I need is some greens, grits and floured corn. Haven't had any of that stuff since the last time I was in Charleston. Ditto a crawfish fry. Is it good for you? Who cares.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Living in Mississippi most of what I hear is Martha White...White Lily is big in East Tennessee...both make excellent biscuits...I could box some and ship to you guys...let me know...
                Dutch

Comment

Working...
                X