Recipe web sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe web sites

Does anybody have favorite recipe web sites? I use italianfood.about.com and frenchfood.about.com, but I find that most of the mainstream sites -- and the Google results for recipe searches -- are of the "add one can a cream of mushroom soup" variety.

Where are the good ones?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Recipe web sites

James,

A few: epicurious.com, kingarthurflour.com, baking911.com, pizzamaking.com, celiac.com (gluten free), italianfoodforever.com, pbs.org/juliachild/video. There are others, of course, but I've found these to be valuable.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I've recently been going to thefreshloaf.com and joyofbaking.com. I agree with CJ on pizzamaking.com, it is valuable site
      I got a subscription to cooksillustrated for xmas - I like the site, but don't care for the fact it is a pay site

Comment

I listen to Splendid Table on NPR....picked up some nice recipe's there.

Cilantro Chicken and Pumpkin Sage Pasta come to mind.

Recipe Box: The Splendid Table

But usually when I'm thinking about a recipe, I just do a google search and look at a number of different recipes for ideas.

I need to write my Kitchen Sink Cooking book.
        sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Lot's good tips here. We get the Splendid Table Sunday afternoon -- and I am usually either coming or going from Home Depot so I hear it a lot. That's a good one.

We know the guy who runs TheFreshLoaf.com. Good guy, very knowledgeable.

I will check out Saveur and Food and Wine.

Also, I bought recipe software for my Mac recently, though I haven't started using it. Does anyone use and/or enjoy keeping track of recipes on your computer.

Thanks for the leads.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Have recently converted to a Mac. WIll be very interested in your feedback on software you purchased.

Thanking you in advance
            Richard

Comment

My usuals are Cooks.com and Recipesource.com. Both are a pain in the patootee.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I bought some software called 20,000 recipes or some such title. I thought it was rubbish and never use it.

I always copy/create a file on recipes I use. There is nothing more frustrating than producing something really good and then not being able to remember what ingredients and method was used. I tend to tinker with recipes to suit the occasion or how I'm feeling at the time, using them as guidelines. It's easy to delete if it turns out to be not so good.

Comment

James: FB started me on my computer recipe storage. I just write up a recipe in Word format and save it as the name of the recipe. That allowed me to cut and paste recipe's into FB easily.....Photos not so easy....

I just save all the recipes in a folder.
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
                    I bought some software called 20,000 recipes or some such title. I thought it was rubbish and never use it.

I always copy/create a file on recipes I use. There is nothing more frustrating than producing something really good and then not being able to remember what ingredients and method was used. I tend to tinker with recipes to suit the occasion or how I'm feeling at the time, using them as guidelines. It's easy to delete if it turns out to be not so good.

I find it frustrating when we make something and it turns out great the first time and then we try it again and it turns out differently. Then we start to tinker with recipes.
                    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                    Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                      James,

Have recently converted to a Mac. WIll be very interested in your feedback on software you purchased.

Thanking you in advance
                      Richard
                      Ditto.

J W

Comment

I have a couple favourites to mention.

We have a couple food legends on our shores. I guess one might see the first one as more of a food journalist, however she has done here own cooking shows. Maeve is a bit of a legend and in this show she helps to showcase various cultures and the types of foods that are traditional to them. Check out Food Safari:
                        SBS Food Safari
                        The recipes are free and there is often some video to go with it. Search for the "Nans Chery Cream Cheese Strudel' recipe. I saw this the other night and figure this would be a great one for the WFO.......You could prepare it ahead of time I guess and then cook when ready for desert - simple in a way yet gastronomical.

My other fave which I've probably mentioned before is "The cook and the Chef:
                        ABC TV: The Cook and the Chef
                        Simon is a renown chef at the local Hilton and Maggie one of our gourmet queens - once again free recipes with video as well.
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Damon,

Cool sites both. Thanks for them. Maeve, named after the legendary Irish queen, is quite stunning, really. Single? Phone number? Signed photographs? Fan club? Now I'm really in trouble.

Jim
                          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

...lol.....she is a few years older than me but yeah I'd agree she "holds her age well" as we say. See how I go with her number
                            Cheers
                            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                            X