Dirty Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Steak

In spite of myself ('cause I am not the steak maker in the home) I had unexpectedly good results baking/frying a 1 1/8" ribeye by preheating my $4.43 Sam's cast Iron griddle Sam's Club - Cast Iron Griddle - 3 pc. for 30 minutes with oven at 600. 5 minutes on each side and 5 minutes rest on a dinner plate in a 150 warming drawer (wife's guidance on that piece).

So what could be accomplished if I had a sense for what I was doing and why? Off to the web where I found this linkhttp://www.pbs.org/perl/media.cgir?t...01200&e=976600 for dirty steak. The link will take you to a video of Julia Child and freinds cooking a steak directly on oak coals. Nuts! with a little research I could have saved myself $4.43 - - I am going to try it this weekend.

I found the link on this gents site Wood Fired Brick Oven Tampa Food which catalogs his experience building a wood-fired oven. The site is worth visiting, I found paritcularly valuable his couple-o-graphs on thermocouples. Too late for me, but others could save significant bucks.

Jim
    Last edited by jcg31; 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM.

Re: Dirty Steak

good post

made me hungry
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Ah, that fellow Tampa resident and oven builder. I remember his initial web postings in building his barrel vault, next thing I knew he was selling his CDs or DVDs on ebay and his website. About that time I found this forum with all its GREAT members, FREE advice, and FREE plans. I never again visited or tried to contact. Hey, free enterprise is great - I hope he has made a ton of money off of his project...just none of mine.
      Time for another shameless plug for James and creating this forum.

I will give this guy credit.....he has posted a lot of tasty food pics (including the dirty steak) and seems to share our love of WFO cooking.

RT

Comment

sorry to hijack, but Dave - I think you are getting close to passing CJ in the # of posts. Just remember, we all get free Redneck Dave T shirts when you catch and pass James.

Comment

Jim, just re-read your post.....$4.43 for the griddle??? I thought it was a typo until I clicked the link. Thanks, I've got to get me one of those - I love cooking with cast iron.

RT

Comment

Thanks Jim

....I'm going to hijack that video and put it in the recipes so it does not get lost.....great alternative cooking method and good information.

We get so used to cooking things one way, it 's nice to see it done differently!
            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
              Jim, just re-read your post.....$4.43 for the griddle??? I thought it was a typo until I clicked the link. Thanks, I've got to get me one of those - I love cooking with cast iron.

RT
              Hard to believe that you can make it for that (in China?) and make any money selling it (all the way to the USA!)

Might be a very handy WFO tool.....
              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post

RT
                Before you jump on that one, know that for a buck more you can get one shaped like a cow with detachable tail (handle) - - great for keeping the hunk-o-meat in the proper context, or fun bovine shapes in the bottoms of pizza and breads.

Sam's Club - Cast Iron Griddle Steak Board - 3 pc.

Jim
                Last edited by jcg31; 04-10-2008, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jim, I will pass on the cow design. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like what I'm eating looking back at me (The seen from the movie "A Christmas Story" where they are being surved a whole duck in a Chinese rest.) Same for any dish that serves a whole fish.
                  Any way great find, I'm actually going to pick up a couple of those griddles...at that price a whole case wouldn't cost much.

RT

Comment

Working...
                  X