Cutting pizza: wheel or knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting pizza: wheel or knife

Over time I've given up on my pizza cutting wheel and keep buying bigger and bigger knifes. I like the way the toppings stay in place when cut with a knife. What do you prefer?

Re: Cutting pizza: wheel or knife

Great question. I feel a poll coming on. :-)

Brian, how big is your knife??

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Twelve inches of finely-honed vintage carbon steel. Often it is still too small.

Comment

I have some pretty big knives but at present, I've been sticking to a newish but sharp pizza wheel.
        I am keeping my eyes open for a good quality steel blade to make a radiused cutting tool that I have seen elsewhere, (looks like a part of a wheel which would be around a metre in diameter and you simply rock it over the pizza rather than roll a 100mm wheel through the toppings).
        I might even have to forge and then heat treat an old machette or meat cleaver into one. One of those exercise awaiting!

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I use a pizza cutter. They may not serve cut pizza in Italy...but many Italians do eat it as Americans do. I remember being one of only a few at each restaurant using a knife and fork and most were locals, not tourists.....I had read of their practice - as the saying goes "when it Rome"......Of course we were only there for 2 weeks, may have been a coincidence.
          Another rumor I'd like to dispel....They DO wear white athletic shoes in Italy......I was told and read in a guide book that Europeans do not wear the fancy athletic shoes we do here.....I saw locals everywhere - from a shop owner on Capri to a ticket agent at the train station in Rome - wearing NB and ****.
          Back on topic...I always wanted one of those big half moon cutters, just have not bought one to this point>

RT

Comment

Funny RT,
            In Sicily, if you wore tennis shoes at all, you stood out in the crowd as an American. I learned to wear normal street shoes to blend in and have never (after 8 years) gone back. I have tennis shoes around here somewhere. I just haven't seen them for awhile.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

used to be that tennis shoes and jeans made you stand out as a tourist
              ....now the locals wear them as their finest...

I use a heavy duty wheel by KitchenAid....but that huge rocking knife would be tempting!
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

I use the wheel that FB sells. It is excellent.
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I use a wheel but I want to make a curved blade with a wooden handle that extends the full length length of the blade with some scrap ss sheet. Have seen them and think they're probably better than a wheel. Faster cut, better is.
                  Shiraz taking over.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I remember my grandmother cutting her pizza with a pair of scissors. We use a wheel.

Comment

Well, I thought that I might make a prototype of a rocking knife.
                      I found the scrap of stainless, alraeeadyy shaped, which was left over from my chimney void hood, ground an polished a fairly sharp edge. Tomorrow, I will get a bit of that nice Tasmanian Blackwood that I have, shape a suitable handle and route a groove in it (if I have a cutter that fine) or cut one with a fine steel cutting disc, drive and glue the blade in.
                      It should hold the edge pretty well, if not it won't take long to solve as the whole blade only took 1/2 hour to make.

Neill
                      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                      Neill’s kitchen underway
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Cool! Looks like your more than halfway there!!

Comment

yup, might be a market for those here....or maybe a trade?

I made cocas today (small pizzas) and used scissors to cut them into pieces....worked fine!

Comment

Jim
                            You can also find them here

Rocking Knives

Bruce
                            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Cool...and in Michigan too!

I'll send that link to my kids....when is fathers day?

Comment

Working...
                              X