Peter Reinhart at Ramekins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Reinhart at Ramekins

Just thought I would mention that Peter Reinhart is giving a class on wood fired pizza. I signed up, should be interesting.

Monday, July 21st, 11:00AM-2:00PM

Check here:

Ramekins Class Search Results

Loren

Re: Peter Reinhart at Ramekins

Thanks for the info Loren. I just signed up, I'm from the Sacramento area if anyone wants to carpool.

Comment

Oh no, I wish I saw this thread sooner. I just checked, and it appears the class is sold out.
      "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Telehort,

That is great that you signed up, it will be nice to meet someone from the forum.

You may want to call and check to make sure you are in. I have signed up for classes before and was given confirmation, only to have had a call back to have them say the class was full. They are getting new software soon which will remedy the situation. Marlene runs the sign ups for classes and she is very nice.

I am actually taking this class tomorrow night, I should learn a thing or two?

Ramekins Class Search Results

Loren

Comment

Thanks Loren - I did get the confimation number back from them as well as an email stating I was in. My problem now is that a project I am on at work was just moved up a week and I am being told I am probably not going to be able to take the day off for the class. I am still "discussing" it with my leaders, but I am going to have a hard time not harboring some long term resentment if I end up having to miss this. :-)

Comment

Telehort,

I hope you can make it. I have taken 3 classes there already. all pertaining about pizza and have learned a bit from each class. Peter Reinhart's class should be the best yet because I know he is a pizza/baking enthousiast to say the least. American Pie is a great book.

If you can not make it maybe you could give your spot to the other person on the list that had interest in it. Not sure if they would go for that but you never know.

PizzaJNKY still interested?

I will post in this section on the class last Friday a bit later.

Loren

Comment

Loren,
              If I need to cancel my class..I am holding out until I get a definite NO from my boss, I will certainly get with Ramekins people to see if there is a way to pass my spot onto someone here at Forno Bravo.

Comment

Keep an eye on the dates, here is part of their cancellation policy:

3. You may cancel your registration for a class up until 14 calendar days in advance of the class date and receive either a 100% refund or transfer the fee to another class. Refunds can only be made in the same method in which you originally paid.

4. You may cancel your registration for a class up until 7 calendar days in advance of the class date and apply your credit to a future class.

5. No credit or refund will be given for any class registration cancelled less than 7 seven calendar days prior to a class date, unless the class is sold out and we are able to sell your space. You may choose to send someone in your place.

I am sure they would find someone to fill your spot though...

Tell your boss, No class, No pizza!

Comment

With the Reinhart class a couple days away, it looks like I will be able to make it after all. Loren I look forward to meeting you!

Anyone else going to be at the class?

Comment

Telehort,

It was good to meet you at class, nice to meet someone from the Forum in person!

I finally had a chance to go through my photos and here are a couple from class. You can see the four types of Foccacia. The plain, pesto, tomato, and my favorite with onion marmalade, blue cheese, and walnuts. He is a very good instructor, I never thought you could work a wet dough but after seeing it done it seems easy now. You can see the FB oven in one of the pics.

Loren

Comment

Loren-

That class must have been great. Was there anything you learned that you've been able to implement at home that you can share with us?
                      Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Great question. How would you describe working with really wet dough?
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

The main things I learned was to have balance of flavors on the pizza as far as toppings, not to have too much on the pie, and to manage your heat and know how to adapt to the heat you have in your oven. One example is he was cooking a foccacia in a green egg and the bottom was getting done too quickly, he turned a sheet pan upside-down and slid it under the sheet pan the foccacia was in, that allowed the top to catch up to the bottom. Also in the wood fired oven to raise the pizza to the top of the dome to give it a quick broil (I think most people know that). I wish I could work with him for a week, I would learn so much. Oh well, just buy more flour and practice?

As far as the wet dough goes I use to be very reluctant to stick my hands in to wet dough thinking "it is too wet, I can't work with that". Until he said to be sure to dip your hands in flour first then work with the dough. Such a simple thing I never thought of and it made working with very hydrated dough soooooo much easier. I can't remember the hydration % he has but it was something I would never have attempted to work with before. You definitely can not toss it, he showed us how to bring it up on your knuckles and start to spin it with the knuckles of your thumbs. That is the best way I can describe it. We also made the whole wheat dough that came out very nice. I think he is working on a new book about whole wheat. He is also in a partnership to open a new pizza joint in North Carolina.

I was just poking around and found the book here: Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: Peter Reinhart 1580087590 $35.00

One other great thing I learned was to use a quarter sheet pan for foccacia in the oven. I never even heard of them before (shows you what I know!). They maneuver so much easier in the oven. Found them here: Bridge Kitchenware - Search

Also use parchment under the foccacia...

I am not pushing any of this stuff; just want to share with you guys?

Loren

Comment

Loren
                            It was very nice to meet you too.
                            Prior to the class, I thought a few of the recipes I made at home had "wet" dough. This taught me that a real wet dough is almost more like a batter :-) The foccacia we made was the wettest dough I have worked with...but was SO good! I have made it about a half a dozen times since class and am learning to enjoy working with that dough. I have tried making almost an equally wet pizza dough and the biggest issue I have is just taking it from a large wet mass and cutting and weighing the dough balls. It is a bit difficult for me trying to cut, weight and some how roll into a ball something that feels like melting playdough. The class was great! If anone has the chance to go to a class/workshop with Peter Reinhart, it really is worth the cost. He was very personable to talk with, open to questions and comments and seemed to really enjoy what he was doing.

Comment

I must agree that class opened my eyes. It really helps to see things done instead of reading about how to do things in a book. I will be on the lookout for his future classes. Earlier in the year he gave two on bread making at Ramekins. I believe he said he may be in the area next year.

Loren

Comment

Working...
                              X