Proofing Preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proofing Preferences

I'd really like to know how members proof their hearth breads: in bowls, bannetons, free form, cloth lined, not cloth lined, couche, etc., etc. For me, bannetons are out of the question, because they're so expensive, and I'll need 36. I'm thinking, though, that I might try to make my own out of (I think) willow. This would take a steam box and a bending form, but maybe it could be done if I had one to make a pattern from. Maybe there's a source for banneton plans, don't know. I do know there's lots of black willow around here.

Anyway, what's your preference?

On a related topic, using a temperature probe for fully kneaded bread (77 to 81 degrees F) and fully baked hearth bread (205 F) takes out some of the guesswork, but is there a temperature for fully proofed bread? Never read anything about that, and maybe I'm asking the wrong question.
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Bannetons

Hi Jim,

My two Bannetons came from SFBI today -- they're nice and I am looking forward to using them. The lame holder is also here, so now I'm off to buy bulk razor blades.

What about making your own Bannetons? I've done that in the past. Before we moved, I had inexensive whicker baskets from Cost Plus, with bulk Irish Linen that we bought locally from a fabric store. DIY.

I don't know about dough temp. Good question. I have been using my instant thermometer in my baked loaves to double check.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Dough Temps

James,

Glad the stuff showed up in good order. The lame blade holder is a nice little piece of work, and the bannetons are just the right size and shape for 1 1/2 lb hearth loaves. Now that I have a pattern, it doesn't look like these would be difficult to make. The wood appears to be willow, not a difficult species to get around here. A small brad nailer would work well to attach them, but probably I'd need a steam box to bend the wood in such tight spirals. Could be done.

I bought 3 yds of linen from SFBI for a couche, and the price is about as good as I can get around here. Very tight weave, high thread count.

When I asked about dough temperature, I was thinking more of perfectly risen dough, not baked loaves.

For baked hearth loaves, I go by the standard 205 F in the centre of the loaf.

Any info on this would help.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
      X