Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you making for the 4th of July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you making for the 4th of July?

We are going to fire up the oven and make crackers, pita chips,(with some interesting dips and spreads) pizzas, paella and a peach pie. Maybe we will fire up the BBQ and grill pineapple with rum and brown sugar and top it with vanilla ice cream. Break out the homemade beer and wine and soda, sit back relax and enjoy our guests!

Not your typical 4th of July BBQ!!

What is on your menu?
    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Re: What are you making for the 4th of July?

We had pizza tonight so we'll be ready for retained heat cooking for the 4th. In the morning we'll try a few loaves of bread, then after lunch I'm going to pop a 10 pound turkey in for dinner.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I've only gone "white" once and cooked about 10 pizzas. We're having about 25 adults and 15 childrend over so I didn't want to try and make that many pizzas on the 2nd go around.

Instead we'll do the standard hamburger and hot dogs and I'll fire up the oven (weather permitting) for some pizza appetizers/munchies.

Have a safe 4th everyone.

Dick

Comment

Bonfire on the beach....

cook some brats, dogs, and fresh corn roasted over the fire, potatoe salad.....typical fare....

watch some fireworks...might even drink a beer!
        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Well we survived out first major party with our new brick oven. We fired her up at 10:30 and the first thing in the oven was whole wheat crackers, then roasted some chicken for later, as the guests arrived we started to make the first of 6 pizzas. We also made the tomato and goat cheese dip (recipe found here in the FB online cook book) a smashing success! Put out some homemade cheese spread and roasted eggplant dip.

After we all snacked on the some of the pizzas and dips it was time to put in the paella. We have a huge cast iron pot that just about fits in the doorway, everyone gathered round to watch as he put in all the seafood and slid it into the oven way in the back. While the paella was cooking he was still making some pizzas. Due to the fact we needed to slow down the oven for the paella the last 2 pizzas we ok did not get too crispy?ohh well. He then put the chicken back in to finish cooking.

When he went to pull out the paella it was ohhh and ahhh time 28 people gathered round to see the unveiling it looked and smelled awesome, better still it tasted amazing!

We then took out the coals and put them in the BBQ pit. Now into the oven went 3 pies, peach, strawberry and blueberry and he sealed up the oven. On the BBQ we grilled pineapple that had soaked in goslings dark rum and brown sugar, yumo! Took out the pies and then put in 13 sourdough rolls (this is for a party at my parent?s house tonight!)

So she (the oven) got a work out as did we, can?t wait for the next event!
          Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Having done pizza the night before, I tried my first turkey, baked beans and grilled corn. Turned out good, different than Thanksgiving with the smell in the house for three hours driving you nuts. Went out for a boat ride to see every other boat house with activity and then had peach-blackberry cobbler for desert.
            I'm enjoying cooking a lot more now days
            RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
            Oven Thread

Comment

Well this is our M and B season (muggy and buggy) so I let the oven rest. We just cooked fresh vegies inside and a my father surprised us with a slab of ribs which made the vegies taste even better.

Comment

I just love sitting around the fire and watching stuff sizzle!
                Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

We did the whole roast turkey on the 4th. (recipe in the FB Wood Fired Oven e-book)

RAVE reviews. Everyone loved it. 10 pound bird in 400F oven, cooked to perfection in 90 minutes. I went to pull the foil off at the 90 minute mark and we were already done!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                  X