Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough dough?

Hello,
    I just fired 8 pizzas for the 4th. I used Caputo flour and followed the recipe exactly using the weight method. The oven floor was about 815-825. This is the first time my crusts came out on the tough side. I always use the same recipe, and use the same procedures. I am always careful not to overwork the dough. Any, I ideas why the crusts would be tough? Each dough ball was about 200-215 grams. I did buy the 55lb bag of caputo flour last year.

Thanks,
    Ro

Re: Tough dough?

Hello,
    Can the pizza dough be frozen and used as later date. If so, does it affect the taste or quality in any way.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

I don't have any ideas about the tough dough... keep trying and experimenting. As for freezing dough, YES! It works very nicely. I sometimes make and extra batch of dough for freezing. After you form the pizza balls, lightly spritz a ziplock bag with spray oil, place few balls in the bag and freeze.

When you are ready to use the dough, remove the frozen balls from the bag, place somewhere where they can thaw and rise then make pizza.

I've frozen up to a month without problems.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I found some dough balls in my freezer from almost a year ago. Just put on the counter to defrost and rise. Turned out just fine!
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, I am going to freeze some and give it try. This is my first full summer of use. I have three little ones running around and they love when I fire it up for marshmallow roasting. Which as it turns out is every evening. It always happens though, that the fire gets hot enough for a pizza and I am without dough. Today I'm making the Schiaciatta bread from the recipe section and fettucine alfredo to accompany it.

Thanks,
          Rob

Comment

How was the dough when you formed it? If it was soft and pliable my guess would be that it baked too long. If it looks done in the oven - it's overdone. Seconds really count in a WFO.
            If the dough was tough on the make board, my guess is your hydration is lacking.

Comment

Working...
            X