FibraMent pizza stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FibraMent pizza stone

Does anyone have experience with the FibraMent pizza stone. The company that makes them also makes the cooking floors for commercial deck ovens (or more to the point they did that first and then came out with a residential product second). The stones are thicker and last longer than the mass market pizza stones. They also claim to have a more consistent heat transfer for more even high heat baking.

Of course the downside is that they are more expensive. Still, I have cracked too many pizza stones over the years.

Has anyone used one? Know anyone what has?

As a side question, do you stop using your pizza stone once you install a brick oven, or do you keep using it?

Thanks for your input.
    James
    Last edited by james; 02-16-2006, 05:38 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Keep it

James,

I've kept my pizza stone for when I want to make small batches for just myself and friends. I use the big oven for big batches, and it just takes too much wood to fire it up for two to four loaves.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Re: FibraMent pizza stone

James, I have used one for a few years now. I have had no problems with it. It was the largest stone I could find at the time.

I'm just starting on my Pomoeii oven. The slab has been laid, and I'm about to start the stand. I bought Muddox fire brick for the dome and the floor. I don't like the brick though. the sides are not straight and the finish is too pourous. I remembered that when I bought my fibrament stone thry daid they can build any size stone required. So, I'm about to get a quote on a 42" round stone. I saw your query in the search list while I was looking for the stone and thought I would reply. wish me luck, and I'll let you know what they say.

Comment

Hey Jerry,

I am pretty sure that the Fibrament material cannot withstand direct contact with fire. That's why they make a special version for gas grills -- it has a metal case around the stone.

Let us know what they say.

Otherwise, I think you will be happy with firebrick from a cooking perspective. It functions very well.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, Thats what Mark at Fibbrament just told me. Also, they don't make a 42" round stone and tooling would be expensive. They do make firebrick in a 6 X 12" size. that would have fewer seams, and they are a dense brick, so not the pourous finish of the Muddox that I have. Not inexpensive though. $10 per + shipping.

Comment

Also regarding the Fibrament stone, I'm not allowed to leave it in the oven, so it gets moved a lot. When I make bread, I spray water all over the place, hasen't hurt the stone at all. Seems pretty sturdy to me.

Comment

I have the big rectangular stone. It lives at the bottom of my electric oven. Wonderful pizzas as you can imagine. It also serves as a heat sink and seems to moderate the oven. Water doesn't bother it when sloshing water in for sourdough bread. If something slops over onto the stone, it goes for a ride on the High Temp Cleaning cycle. Brush off the ash and it looks almost like new! The manufacturer reminds me of the long gone companies of the 40's and 50's that built their products to last a lifetime.
              Both the Fibrament stone and my DLX mixer bespeak QUALITY.

Comment

Working...
              X