Best place to buy Lames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to buy Lames

I'm getting a little frustrated using my Opinel knife to slash my bread. I think it's just a little too heavy and it really pulls the bread when I make the cut.

So I guess I am in the market for a real French Lame.

Ahybody know where to get them?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Lames

James,

Had the same type problem you did until I got hold of the real thing. There are several sources: Kingarthurflour.com has an online catalogue that offers them, but the blades are fixed in a plastic handle, so really only one side is usable unless you're ambidextrous. The San Francisco Baking Institute (sfbi.com) carries a really nifty and cheap (about $6) bent metal handle that uses standard safety razor blades you install yourself. That's what I'm using now. SFBI is the best source for bannetons, too. If you want to get more info than you really need, go to scaritech.com. It's a French company that makes nothing else but lames. How French is that?

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks for the lead

Jim,
      Thanks. I called the SF Baking Institute and ordered my lame, along with two linen lined bannetons. Proceeds go to a scholarship fund. Now I can't wait for them to show up.

Nice folks at sfbi.com.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
      X