Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK supplier of peels etc?

Hi

Can anyone in the UK recommend a source where I might buy a decent long peel and perhaps a rake tool for removing ash etc?

Many thanks if you can.

P de D

Re: UK supplier of peels etc?

I used Barmans - link here

They delivered in about a week, and I'm happy with the peels & brush so far. I would be interested if you find anywhere else - I had trouble finding a supplier when I was looking.
    http://fornoeconomico.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Carl View Post
      I used Barmans - link here

They delivered in about a week, and I'm happy with the peels & brush so far. I would be interested if you find anywhere else - I had trouble finding a supplier when I was looking.
      Thanks. There's a lot of choice in size of peels there.

Comment

I don't know your circumstances and ability level but have you considered making your own? They aren't complicated if you are thinking along the lines of a metal (aluminum) peel and you can modify to meet your exact needs. Aluminum can be worked with the same tools one uses to work wood.

Wiley

Comment

Aluminum can be worked with the same tools one uses to work wood.
          Um, within reason. A wood cutting band saw cuts aluminum sheet like a champ. A table saw or a reciprocating saber saw can be a lethal weapon when it grabs a piece of sheet metal.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I have cut aluminum sheet on table saws, with skil saws and jig saws for years without problem. One must, of course, wear eye protection and when using either a skil saw or table saw I would suggest a carbide blade, gloves AND a shirt with a tight fitting collar as the chips are hot as they come off the saw (and they get your attention if they get down your shirt). Thin sheets need to be clamped to a sacrificial sheet of plywood, 10 guage (1/8 inch) material is easly worked as a sheet. "50" series aluminum is soft and unsuited for peels, "60" series is fine and easily found. I used "20" series (2418 T8 to be exact) which is stiff and hard and perfect for peels.

Here's a picture of two of the peels I've built and todays rain :-(
            Wiley

Comment

Good looking peels. I second the plywood backing suggestion. Good for machining all thin sheet metals.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
              X