Using a wfo as a BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a wfo as a BBQ

In the uk, we usually (sorry, not trying to speak for 58 million people!) do a BBQ this way:

We chuck a load of coals into a pit with some firelighters and let it burn like heck for 20 minutes, then put a grill/griddle over the top and put the food on ths until it is black.

Eat 'food', job done. Watch x-factor, go to bed.

In the real world (ie, wfo world), can I have a bbq as well? Could I have some charcol burning in the oven and cook off that? I no longer want a cheap and nasty rusty bbq lying around...

What I have in mind is a kind of two-tied cast iron griddle/fire thing which allows a small area of coal to burn while elevated above fresh air. Above this would be the cooking area where you place your meats and stuff for cooking. Just large enough to put inside the doorway of the oven.

How about that?

Moving on, we're pretty keep on skewering fish and putting them into the wfo when it has pizza-style heat going on. Like a rotisserie sort of thing where you bung the skewer in for a few minutes and turn it a bit. Any good, this idea? Could it work? Would the fish fall off the skewer?

P de D

Re: Using a wfo as a BBQ

You surely can. They sell a grill for this exact purpose in the FB store under the name 'Tuscan Grill'. You can also use your oven as a smoker, which I and many others here have also done with great results. Good luck!
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

The grill...

14" Cast Iron Tuscan Grill :: Cookware, Grills & Bakeware :: Forno Bravo Store
      Oven Progress
      Bread Photos
      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Fish can be a little too soft for a skewer. In the northwest USA we either use a cedar plank ( using one is an entirely different kettle of fish) or a basket. I prefer to use the basket with the BBQ. You can order them from all kinds of different places like the one here

Charcoal Companion Fish Grilling Basket - Bealls Florida Department Store
        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

rlf5 - the charcoal burns ok underneath?

brokencookie - know what you mean about the fish breaking off the skewer. I have seen baskets you put around the fish, very probably the way to go.

P de D

Comment

Yep, burns just fine. Better to have the setup in your oven's vent area.
            Oven Progress
            Bread Photos
            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Sounds good mate.

I'm still breezing through eBay's 'cast iron', and there's a tonne of stuff, most of which interests me very little.

Looking for some kind of griddle. I know James has posted one above, and that looks good, just need something closer to home if poss.

Comment

P de D

I searched everywhere in the UK for a cast iron griddle and gave up in the end. I deceided to order the one in the Bravo store in the US and negotiated the postage (does end up more than the grill) but 100% worth it, it's a great grill.

Good luck.

Ryh
                sigpic

Comment

I made one from an old BBQ grill. I simply put some 3" bolts and nuts through the slots near the corners to act as legs. Works a treat, but sure makes a lot of steamy smoke in the oven chamber.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I use a $5 grill from the hardware store propped up with two fire bricks.
                    Oven Progress
                    Bread Photos
                    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

I just checked the aperature of my oven, and the 14" grill won't fit... I'll have to find something else.

Maybe a trivet would do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
                        I use a $5 grill from the hardware store propped up with two fire bricks.
                        I use this method also. Works great and its priced great!

Comment

Originally posted by Puy de Dome View Post
                          I just checked the aperature of my oven, and the 14" grill won't fit... I'll have to find something else.

Maybe a trivet would do the job.

Yes, it's always better when it fits through the door!

I think you can recycle a lot of grates that you find around. We used to use the old racks from fridges for grilling over an open fire. (You could cut one to fit your oven) The tuscan types I believe are heavier cast iron though and have benefits of density. I also use a variety of firebrick pieces to support my grill depending on how high I want it. Has worked fairly well...still have not tried the "dirty steak" method yet!

I think one advantage your WFO has over normal BBQ's is that you can slow cook meats and/or smoke them which makes much better BBQ...now how about a sauce recipe?

And I agree on the fish comments...a cedar plank would work but if you want to spin it, I'd get one of those fish shaped wire baskets. The square ones work welll for meats too, like sausages!

XJ
                          sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

A question, please. Do people cook fish at pizza temps?
                            I guess a smallish, (say <2lb: [about a kilo for we Great Unwashed]) whole fish could work. Dunno.
                            Be easy to scale. (Ahem!) I've only ever smoked fish in the WFO. (Last time was dismal -
                            my bad . Retained a muddy taste.)

Otherwise, I agree with X Jim - the ovens are so versatile, even down to drying vegies.
                            And don't overlook your local scrap metal dealer. A recent raid yielded heavy duty ss oven racks @ A$3/kg. Covered in festering oil, but I regret not buying the whole lot.
                            They cleaned up a treat.
                            Good scrounging,
                            Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                              A question, please. Do people cook fish at pizza temps?

Luddite Jeff.
                              I've done shrimp and calamari in the paella pan over a hot wood fire....pretty much in and out quicklly!

Not sure that pizza temp would be good for cooking fish in WFO....maybe a smaller fish that had been split so it could have an even cooking.

I'd be curious at what temps people are cooking fish by WFO
                              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                              X