No announcement yet.

Slow roasting a pig in the Casa 110????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow roasting a pig in the Casa 110????

I was interested on roasting a small pig slowly in a 43" diameter oven( Casa 110 sized oven). I was thinking around 20-30lb pig. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Slow roasting a pig in the Casa 110????

Hmmm? The smallest we ever had was 80 lbs. and it was pretty long. (Caja China Box)

If it fits, I suppose if you build up the heat and remove the coals, it would work.

I have a huge oven but the mouth is too small for anything bigger than a turkey.

Damn! Take some pictures if you do it. I like magic tricks.

Comment

Look up Xabia Jim's threads in the photo section. He cooked a small pig in the WFO. It looks wonderful. I don't know if he included instructions anywhere. (Its on page 2 I think under X of the photos.)

Comment

Originally posted by krosskraft View Post
        Look up Xabia Jim's threads in the photo section. He cooked a small pig in the WFO. It looks wonderful. I don't know if he included instructions anywhere. (Its on page 2 I think under X of the photos.)
        I searched and could not find anything from Xabia. Can you post a link?. I searched pretty thoroughly before posting the thread and found nothing aside from some posts of suckling pigs. I was hoping for some input on slow roasting a bigger pig for a bigger party.

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...-pig-3613.html

This was for 10 pounds.

I have seen whole pigs done for 12hours over fire and I think that's about the lengh of time for a luau pig buried in the sand.

If you can fit the 30 pound one in your oven, I'd go for the slow oven for 8 hours but check meat temp so as not to overcook it.

Come back with info and pics if you do it!
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

It looked like a suckling pig. "Cochinilla" I think it is called. I can't help you much more than that, but maybe a butcher could help you. I'm thinking get the oven up high for several hours, scrape out the coals, shove the pig in at about 500 or so and let it stay for many hours. I would put it over some kind of pan to catch drippings and figure out at way to raise it slightly off the hearth. And have a way to turn it. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out. You can be the guina pig.....ha.

Comment

Hi hi,

If you can get in, I'd use a roasting pan. Cover it up, close the door and let it roast in its own juices. You're basically cooking it in a very large slow cooker.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X