Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm probably misspelling this but has anyone made skachetta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm probably misspelling this but has anyone made skachetta?

I'm looking for a recipe for skachetta. A friend of mine, who's parents are from Italy, told me about this dish. I can't remember all the ingredients but what I do remember is it had sausage, cabbage, potatoes backed in some kind of bread like a big calzone. It sounds perfect for a brick oven

Thanks,
    Bruce.

Re: I'm probably misspelling this but has anyone made skachetta?

The closest thing that I can think of that you are referring to is a Tuscan flatbread that is called schiachiatta...it is not like a calzone though...kind of a rustic, oddly shaped pizza...sometimes topped with grapes "schiachiatta al uve" or really anything else...and almost always based with olive oil
    Hope this helps!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Yep! I misspelled it.
      Thanks for the response. Yah, I would say they may have put their own twist on it, but that's what cooking's all about. Being creative!

Comment

I finally got the recipe my friend was telling me about and tried it. Not to bad if you got some extra dough left over. Here' the pics. Recipe as emailed to me is:

-1 small cauliflower
        -2 medium bunch of broccoli
        -1 big onion
        -1 can 16oz peeled tomato
        -4oz of red wine
        -2oz Romano cheese
        -2oz calamate olives
        -3 medium potatoes
        -2 16oz pizza dough

Cut in small pieces cauliflower and broccoli, slice onion. In a large fry pan saute broccoli, cauliflower and onion. When almost cooked add wine, cheese and small pieces of olives without the pitt cut the olives in half. cook tomato into ragu sauce with 16 oz of ground pork meat. Boil potatoes and sliced 1/8 of an inch thick. In a 16x10 pan lay 1 pound of dough just like your making pizza. spread broccoli and cauliflower on top, lay the sliced potatoes at the end, put ragu sauce on top. Add salt and pepper of your taste. Cover with the other 16oz dough. Cook in oven for 30 minutes at 400 Until golden brown. Take out of oven cover with a table cloth for 30min. ENJOY!

Comment

Bruce
          Sounds really good! Not at all like what we know of schiachiatta though...this is more of a stuffed focaccia...will have to try it I think
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
          X