Magic Mill Assistent "Grain Mill" attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Mill Assistent "Grain Mill" attachment

I have the Magic Mill Assistent AND I LOVE IT! I am curious if anyone here has the grain mill attachment for it as I'm looking to buy one and would like a little feed back on how well it performed for you. Just the fact that it is an Electrolux product should be reason enough to buy it, but like anyone else, hate to waist money if it's not going to perform as well as some of the high end grain mills. It sure would be nice to grind the flour and then make the dough with one machine.

Thanks,
    Bruce.

Re: Magic Mill Assistent "Grain Mill" attachment

Electrolux Mixer Magic Mill DLX Mixers Kitchen Assistent Assistant Stand Mixer Electroluxe Mixers Best Kitchen Mixer

Dang, that thing does everything but walk the dog...

'Fraid I can't help on the mill. But that is a very nice mixer.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

WHAT! Yours doesn't walk the dog? boy, did you get robbed. LOL

Comment

Actually, mine walks the dog just fine - but it can't mix dough.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

It turned out that I couldn't wait. I'll keep you posted as to how it does milling flour.

Comment

I don't know - you managed to wait a whole 24 hours...

<waits for update>

[/CENTER]

Comment

Re: Magic Mill Assistent &quot;Grain Mill&quot; attachment

It was difficult!

Comment

Hmm,
                Do a search on milling flour or similar text on this site. I think CJ did a few comments on the subject. I believe that flour needs to be stored for a period after milling before it is suitable for baking/cooking with.
                G.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hi george, that's in my memory banks also....I have yet to try my own milling but it's on the bucket list.
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I remember that one!

...and once we find it again you can check if I'm right, but I seem to recall that it said you can either use the flour right away when its freshly milled, OR you store it for something like two weeks, so that... um... the free radicals and um, gluten, er...

Ok, no idea what the reason was, but aparently either really freshly milled or stored flour will work.
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Oh hey, and let us know how the milling attachment works.

I've got an Electrolux, but I never realised it could also mill grain!
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Oh hey, and let us know how the milling attachment works.
                        Absolutely! Should be getting it soon.

Comment

Bruce,

In the trade, freshly milled flour is called "green." At this stage, it isn't really very workable, and dough made from it will not hold its shape. The two compounds that join to create gluten when the flour is hydrated are not fully developed either. Result: lumpy loaves with minimal rise.

Unbleached flour is left to oxidize naturally in the presence of oxygen. Bleaching and bromating are introduced to bypass the oxidation period, bringing the flour from mill to shelf much more quickly. I prefer flour without chemicals, thanks. That's exactly why unbleached, unbromated flours are always recommended for hearth breads.

I would highly recommend that you let milled flour age for at least a week; two would be better. Some "natural" bakers insist on using green flour, because they say it's more nutritious. Frankly, I think that's bunkum. In any case, maybe try green and aged flour, then compare results.

Jim
                          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. I did read something about that in "The Bread builder's" book. Ive been using my brick oven for about 2 yrs now and figured the only thing that I can improve is the quality of flour at this point. And maybe my techniques.

Comment

Working...
                            X