X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richie
    replied
    Re: Mixers

I went through one of the new KA-6 in 3 months, $400 bucks, took it back to Macy's and downgraded to the next smaller model. Works better due to the small bowl, and one way I have gotten around the motor overheating and stopping every couple of minutes is to leave the motor loose, so it moves up and down on the bowl. Seems to work, but have a feeling will break this one soon as well.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

If the KA's are not functioning to satisfaction, why not take them back? If as a group of members the KA's are of unreasonable levels of disfunctional for the needs, why not get the national KA rep and present the group view. Show the power of the group. If they don't care, take the power of the group the Viking or the better manufacturer that has the mixer strong enough to handle the usage required. I have a KA about 10yrs old and running strong. I believe the power of this group can get attention deserved.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied

Specifications Micro Spiral SP5

Professional quality mixing
    Bowl rotation prevents over-heating the dough
    Maximum capacity = 8 lbs. of dough
    1 Speed
    Safety plastic cover
    Electrical: 110 volt / 1 ph / 60 Hz
    Size: 10.5" W x 17.5" D x 14" H

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Jim, do you remember what the capacity of the SP5 is supposed to be. I have been using it for 8lbs of dough at a time. Is it supposed to be able to handle more than that?
    Drake

Leave a comment:

• dalucca2003
    replied

We purchased a Bosch Universal Mixer due to the fact we were on our way to killing the KA and have been very satisfied with the results. Bosch claims it can handle up to 12 lbs. of dough and I can believe it after watching it in action. We also considered the Electolux, but went with the Bosch based on recommendation and better price. Would highly recommend for home use.
    Last edited by dalucca2003; 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PizzaPolice
    replied

Hey Chris!
    I have an Electrolux and it will gladly make up to 15#. Because of the silly design error on the underside of the HOLLOW swing arm (dough gets stuck), I cinch it down to about 12#. This very efficient and very little friction.

My smoked up KA is still sitting on a shelf in the basement wondering what the hell happened.

Leave a comment:

• marcelomintz
    replied

and the dlx it is from sweden, and both are great,and KA it is good for cakes i have also 600 model one.

Leave a comment:

• marcelomintz
    replied

hello,my name is Marcelo and the sp5 it is made in italy brand name avancinni,thanks

Leave a comment:

• PizzaPolice
    replied
    DLX All the way!

After burning up my KA on a 6 pound dough attempt, I got an
    electrolux DLX. Steep learning curve here. The bowl spins around a stationary dough hook. After figuring it out, it happily makes over 10 pounds of dough with no complaints or excess friction. It's no diving fork machine but I'm very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    12 months

Stuart,

Yer on about the SP5, but would you buy a used car from that guy? Give me a couple of days and I'll mail your wife my 600 KA--in tiny, tiny little pieces. Won't do my wood chipper much good, but will it ever be satisfying.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Meta

Marcel,

I think you've made the right selection for a mixer, knowing the kind of baking you will be doing, but just say a serious prayer to the Prince of Darkness before turning it on the first time.

Meta was a girl I met on the beach in southern Spain years ago. I spotted her right away, because she was the only person within a mile that had clothes on, very fetching. I will not disclose what mixing went on, because that would be ungentlemanly, not to say indiscrete.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Marcel
    replied
    For home bakers, consider the Viking

Originally posted by james
    Where does the Viking fit in here? More than KA, less than SP5?

I think I am going to run my KA until it dies, or I can't stand the smell. I'll do an analysis and buy one of the larger ones. Until then, if you listen closely, you can hear my KA whining in the background.
    James
    (M) For Viking, go to:

http://www.vikingrange.com/blenders/blenders_main.html

(M) I'm not a professional like CanuckJim so the SP5 is out of my league but if I get a good home use mixer it will be the Viking.

(M) The smaller Viking is rated at 800 Watts and sells for $400; the larger Viking offers 20% more wattage (1,000 Watts) and sells for 20% more; $500. That 1,000 watts is only one parameter and may not reflect torque or HP but it is actually 4 times more wattage than the SP5!

(M) If I buy one, it will be the smaller 5 Qt. as compared with the 7 Qt 1,000 watt. At this stage of my life I'm not sure how dedicated I will be toward baking. CanuckJim has helped me with offline advice and recipes, and Phil Tindall with CAD designs for my outdoor kitchen but I'm sure that both Phil and Jim H. have more stickto-it-ness than I. I'll get the 800 Watt.

(M) CanuckJim wrote:

"
    No matter what mixer you choose, listen to the bonehead that got burned and research the hell out of it and pay close attention to the praises or complaints of owners before pulling the trigger. Was that a mixed (pun) metaphor? Marcel will answer that one"

(M) Before I can answer that question I would knead to know what that Meta was mixed phor?

Chow,

Marcel

Last edited by Marcel; 05-12-2006, 07:32 PM. Reason: inaccurate %

Leave a comment:

• stuart
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan
    * Now, to convice the wife, $1,100 for a mixer is worth it! *

Ryan
    My first priority is the Premio if I can convince my wife of the benefits of the pre cast ovens at all. I won't be disappointed if we can swing the Casa as a second choice.

She's in the market for a new mixer now and thinks she wants the KA 600. I'll just have to casually bring up the problems reported with the KA and she'll be on the line for a Electrolux at least.

Jim, I understand the difference in volume you face and wish you only more headaches of expanding sales. Certainly beats the opposite. Call me when you want to unload the SP5 for a larger capacity model, I give you 'bout 12 months!

Leave a comment:

• Ryan
    replied
    Mixers

Jim,

I e-mailed Richard at TMB. He gave me a quote of $1,100 today as there are many here that could use a good mixer. I am sold on this mixer as well. The price is steep but I think it is worth it. Richard has been very helpful. Thanks for turning me on to a good mixer.

* Now, to convice the wife, $1,100 for a mixer is worth it! *

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Electrolux

Stuart, James,

Stuart, Yep, that's the one. King Arthur Flour's Baking Catalogue. But, do your homework on it first. Shop it on the web, too, you might be able to do better on price. It should be easy to find testimonials, reviews, etc., but my info (out of date) says it's quite good. Hope everybody understands that I'm in the commercial end of things, so I can't risk downtime and I'm doing more and more each week, to the point where my other business ventures will take a back seat or cease entirely. Pay close attention to anything that says it overheats the dough. You can just hear all those little yeast guys dying off if it does---HELLLP. You want to bring your FULLY kneaded dough up to 77-81 F, no higher, and your gluten windowpane should be quite pronounced.

What? Doesn't everybody have a commercial stainless steel keyboard with heated keys and a beer fridge? Can't believe it.

Really don't think the Electro is a "lesser make" as such. It's a home mixer, and a good one, just not a commercial grade, so it doesn't fit into my plans. If you use it to the degree you say you will, it should be just fine, all things considered. I'm quite sure now that my usage will continue to ramp up until I'm out of hours or have to hire people. That's why I bit the bullet on the SP5.

James, As I recall, the Viking is more than the KA or the Electrolux, but certainly less than the SP5, but, again, my info is a bit out of date. If you buy one, have a spare case of 10w30 handy . I'll keep you posted on my KA negotiations. No doubt, out of concern, the members of this forum will gladly go my bail.

I have a memory that I did see a performance comparison between the Electrolux and the Viking on the web somewhere: J. D. Power? Consumers Reports? Some such, anyhow.

Q: Why do you need two Jaguars? A: One for parts.

Q: What's an even better use for two Jaguars? A: Run them head on into each other at 50 mph. Q: Why? A: It's better to have matching bookends.

I'm a Porsche/Ferrarri kind of dude. Now, about KitchenAid......

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X