Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 months

Stuart,

Yer on about the SP5, but would you buy a used car from that guy? Give me a couple of days and I'll mail your wife my 600 KA--in tiny, tiny little pieces. Won't do my wood chipper much good, but will it ever be satisfying.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

DLX All the way!

After burning up my KA on a 6 pound dough attempt, I got an
      electrolux DLX. Steep learning curve here. The bowl spins around a stationary dough hook. After figuring it out, it happily makes over 10 pounds of dough with no complaints or excess friction. It's no diving fork machine but I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Re: Mixers

hello,my name is Marcelo and the sp5 it is made in italy brand name avancinni,thanks

Comment

and the dlx it is from sweden, and both are great,and KA it is good for cakes i have also 600 model one.

Comment

Hey Chris!
            I have an Electrolux and it will gladly make up to 15#. Because of the silly design error on the underside of the HOLLOW swing arm (dough gets stuck), I cinch it down to about 12#. This very efficient and very little friction.

My smoked up KA is still sitting on a shelf in the basement wondering what the hell happened.

Comment

We purchased a Bosch Universal Mixer due to the fact we were on our way to killing the KA and have been very satisfied with the results. Bosch claims it can handle up to 12 lbs. of dough and I can believe it after watching it in action. We also considered the Electolux, but went with the Bosch based on recommendation and better price. Would highly recommend for home use.
              Last edited by dalucca2003; 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Jim, do you remember what the capacity of the SP5 is supposed to be. I have been using it for 8lbs of dough at a time. Is it supposed to be able to handle more than that?
                Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Specifications Micro Spiral SP5

Professional quality mixing
                  Bowl rotation prevents over-heating the dough
                  Maximum capacity = 8 lbs. of dough
                  1 Speed
                  Safety plastic cover
                  Electrical: 110 volt / 1 ph / 60 Hz
                  Size: 10.5" W x 17.5" D x 14" H

Comment

If the KA's are not functioning to satisfaction, why not take them back? If as a group of members the KA's are of unreasonable levels of disfunctional for the needs, why not get the national KA rep and present the group view. Show the power of the group. If they don't care, take the power of the group the Viking or the better manufacturer that has the mixer strong enough to handle the usage required. I have a KA about 10yrs old and running strong. I believe the power of this group can get attention deserved.
                    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I went through one of the new KA-6 in 3 months, $400 bucks, took it back to Macy's and downgraded to the next smaller model. Works better due to the small bowl, and one way I have gotten around the motor overheating and stopping every couple of minutes is to leave the motor loose, so it moves up and down on the bowl. Seems to work, but have a feeling will break this one soon as well.

Comment

One more thought on the Bosch Universal mixer. Not only is it designed to handle a large amount of dough mixing, it also has a blender motor built in. The blender is very powerful and does a awesome job of mixing anything you put in it.

Comment

So that Bosch can really handle 12 lbs of sourdough at once? Anyone have first hand experience with that?

Drake
                          My Oven Thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I just mixed a triple batch of dough which produced 12 pizza dough balls and it had no issues. I know it could have mixed up a bit more. Check out the link attached

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bosch_universal.aspx

Comment

Drew,

The SP is rated at 8 lbs, but I've pushed it to 10, though initially it can be a bit messy. There is speed and then there is torque. The SP has tons of torque, which I really appreciate when it comes time for stiff doughs, like bagels or biayls.

I was completely stonewalled by KA with my complaints. They would not refund the purchase price, fobbing me off the the retailer. They denied they had any complaints about the 600 Pro series. A quick search for owner reviews on the net tells a far different story. I refuse to buy anything made by Kitchen Aid in the future.

Jim
                              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Mixers.....ok I confess to knowing nothing about them, but this seems a good place to ask.

A mate and I picked up 2 commercial mixers for a bargain. I think they are also known as planetary mixers. Anyway I was wondering would these be any good for mixing up large batches of dough(bread or pizza) - among other things?

They are big heavy buggers, all steel gears and cast iron bodies. Nameplate say 1/2HP one 1. One has 3 speed settings. Come with all the bowls and looks like some sort of attachment that goes on the front for mincing.They work and about the only problem seems to be they need a new seal where the mixer bit spins around and a new coat of enamel (paint).

Has any one heard of the 2 brands:
                                -Swallow (Swallow Engineering, says made in the UK)
                                -Tyrone
                                the tyrone one looks like an older version of this:
                                tyrone tooth-belt drive planetary mixers - LJ Stuart and Co Pty Ltd

I don't think the wife will allow it in the kitchen however I have a spot planned in my office (next to the beer fridge....also used for pizza dough)
                                Last edited by Bacterium; 10-18-2007, 04:55 AM. Reason: spelling
                                Cheers
                                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                                X