Mixers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mixers

Its raining here and I'm waiting for dough to rise. A great day to read this thread in its entirety. I think I skipped CJ's rantings previously. Definitely a good worthwhile thread for those thinking about a new mixer. I think I can still smell my KA's smoke lingering in the background as I type.

I remember reading about the poor quality gears - just after I bought my KA Professional 6 on Ebay about seven years ago. She's still limping along with the dough. I'm starting to think that I should bring in reinforcements and save the KA for all my lighter mixing needs and attachments like the pasta cutters, ice cream maker, etc. I like the attachments. It would be a shame to have to buy another KA just to keep playing with those toys.

CJ - how's that SP5 holding up? Are you still happy with it?
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George,

We're in the same boat -- except that I am going to completely replace my KA 6 Pro. Space is too tight for two mixers.

Here's my thinking:

Cuisinart won the Cook's Illustrated review.
      The Electrolux get great reviews for dough, which is how I use it.
      Drake has the SP5, and recently wrote something about its weight.

Jump in. If you were starting from scratch with a new oven, and wanted the best dough-centric mixer, what would you buy/recommend?

James
      Last edited by james; 04-23-2008, 04:25 PM.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

George,

I was "ranting" indeed, because the KA had just blown up and head office stonewalled me on a $ refund. I was a tad ticked.

The SP5 is an industrial grade appliance. It does what it does very well indeed and will probably be working just fine for the next twenty years or so.

The secret seems to be: simple, heavy sprockets and chain, not that many moving parts, tons of torque.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Don't worry Jim. I like to vent too. You're was an exceptionally great one. Volumes upon volumes! Cool!!

I've got a whole kitchen of KA appliances. Forget the website if you need a part. I google for KA parts. The company is total poo in my book too.

James - decisions decisions. Sounds to me like the Electrolux for dough and KA for everything else might be the way to go. Easier to justify than $1200 for a dough mixer if you're not in the biz.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

You guys might be interested in this mixer. It just arrived this past week & I am using right now for the first time.

We are lucky to have a friend that collects commercial food service equipment as a hobby, especially mixers of various sizes. We have a 5Qt KA/Hobart ('60's vint) that he gave us but it gets a real work out if I make too much dough at once. We mentioned in conversation over dinner a while back that the old KA was getting a good work out & this one appeared when he made his trip up from Conn. this past week.

It's a 10Qt Hobart, 3 speed (an early model I'm told, 30's or '40's?) with the usual attachments including a smaller bowl (4qt?) with it's own set of hooks, etc. & the required adapter to hold the smaller bowl. It runs very smoothly & didn't really even know I had several lbs of dough in it.

I had never seen this configuration before. It's kind of different looking but works great. No shaking or straining.

He also gave us the 4-slice diner toaster in the background. I had to run a 220V line for that one.
            Last edited by TDVT; 04-28-2008, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that!! I am going to show that picture to my wife to point out how reasonable the SP-5 purchase was!
              Drake
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

TDVT, that is excellent. I'm with Drew. I have to show that to my wife -- and all my excesses with look much more reasonable. :-)
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

It's all how you present it.

I'll describe it as "industrial sheik".

Comment

Originally posted by TDVT View Post
                    It's all how you present it.

I'll describe it as "industrial sheik".
                    Excellent. LOL. :-)
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Time to revive this thread now that I am forced to knead dough by hand. It also does not look like any of the Santas in my family are willing to splurge, so I plan to buy my own Christmas gift, yet again...(I'm either not very well liked or as everyone keeps telling me - too picky and they are afraid to buy me anything other than screwdrivers, socks, underwear)

If I could afford it and were looking for a dough specific mixer, hands down - the SP5.
                      Since I have to appease my wife who occasionally bakes cakes and cookies, I need a machine that does it all reasonably well. I would also like a few attachments.

KA is definitely out of the question, my gosh, there are literally thousands of posts/blogs on the internet about the burnout problems. The KA may have some great attachments and can whip egg whites and cake batter, but it really seems to suck if you attempt dough.

I was sold on the 7 qt Cuisinart...until I found it to be another Chinese built product. I've bought my share of Chinese electronics/tools over the years and all have failed miserably except the HF 10" tile saw, so that rules out the Cuisinart.

My decision is to go with the Bosch Universal Plus. I've watched the video - kicks ass on dough and seems to do all other mixing well. Has plenty of attachments, so I am good there. I've yet to find any negatives concerning Bosch mixers, other than the pricy attachments. Many people rave how the are still using their grandmother's mixer from 20-30 years ago and how Bosch has not changed their motor/transmission design much in that time.
                      I've been a Bosch power tool owner for years, in my opinion the very best - whether corded or cordless. We also have the top of the line Bosch dishwasher (4 yrs old now). Never a problem, always spotless dishes, and by far the most quiet dishwasher made.

I guess what I'm asking, since I'm ready to drop about $600 bucks on this mixer (and attachments), does anyone see any negatives with this mixer, whether first hand or through family/friends?

RT

Comment

From what I see, the Bosch sounds like it is a workhorse, but I have never used one. Let us know how it performs for you!

The SP-5 came up totally dead on me at thanksgiving, turns out is was a $2 fuse, but the timing was not great...had to pull out the old kitchen aid.

Drake
                        My Oven Thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I've bought my share of Chinese electronics/tools over the years and all have failed miserably except the HF 10" tile saw
                          I propose a bonus of five kilos of Caputo for anyone who can figure a way to adapt the HF tile saw for kneeding dough.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Don't set up challenges like that Dmun,
                            I have already started to research the swinging arm mixer as a home build.
                            I seem to have a great deal of difficulty kneading dough, so thought I might look into making a mixer with that simple but apparently best kneading action with some of the equipment I have at home.

Neill
                            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                            Neill’s kitchen underway
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                              Don't set up challenges like that Dmun,
                              I have already started to research the swinging arm mixer as a home build.
                              I seem to have a great deal of difficulty kneading dough, so thought I might look into making a mixer with that simple but apparently best kneading action with some of the equipment I have at home.

Neill
                              Neill,

Keep us posted on what you find, with home build options for that mixer thingie... I like the idea of some help with the kneading... but not in a position to pop for a 'real' mixer...

JED

Comment

Don't encourage Neill too much.....he may end up converting a 25 hp garden tractor into a food processor/mixer/vacuum cleaner...he is a pretty handy guy. I just wish I had the facilities and resources to attempt some of his creations; I don't care if I'm successful, I just want to try. Living in surburbia with shop space (garage) that changes daily based on my wife's mood (her car and 17 poly tubs for Christmas decorations come first), no cool local sources of materials, and 3 neighbors with babies within a stone throw (limits my use of all the fun tools) really stifles a guy's creativity. In my next life I want to come back as Neill, my hat's off to ya mate.

RT

Comment

Working...
                                X