Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SP5 Performance

Thanks Jay
    The scraper with the plastic cone looks like it does a good joy on the uTube videos.
    Being stuck with 1 speed and 1 use seems limiting but if the sp5 makes a better dough then that is what I am looking for. I don't know the answer but hope someone does!

Comment

I feel the same way... What I want is a head to head comparison!

As am aside, SFBI counts rotations (of the sprial) as a way of mixing dough - which is converted to "minutes" using the RPM for the speed used. Our 5 minute/2-3 minute typical mixing pattern at speeds 1 and 2 (100 and 200 rpm) would become about 3 minutes and 4 minutes on the SP5 at 150 rpm. So it isn't quite as fast as a regular spiral, but it is a WORKHORSE as CanuckJim suggests!

Comment

Il Pizzaiolo
        Thanks for explaining the professional approach to counting revolutions as the factor. That makes the decision easier. A machine must have a spiral hook. From watching the uTube videos, the spinning bowl keeps the dough on the hook and makes each revolution count for the entire dough mass.
        Is my logic correct?
        Thanks, Joel

Comment

Lets back up... Fork mixers are the epitome of gentle kneading but they have issues getting started rotating. Until you get the dough forming you have to turn the bowl. My impression is that - while not a giant issue - they take more attention and time is probably not quite so reliable for the amount of mixing prior to dough formation is variable. OTOH, perhaps they are so gentle it is not a big deal.

The SP5 (as I understand it but have not seen in action in person) has a belt drive for the bowl so you can simply put the materials in the bowl, turn it on, and mix - but you should plan to stop it once after two minutes or so and scrape the bowl to incorporate the dregs on the side of the bowl. After that the spiral just gently works the dough. One facet of the SP5 that bothers me a bit is that the bigger spirals have a bar near the spiral and near the center of the bowl that aids in "cutting" and working the dough - probably a bit like the Electrolux wiper. However, I am told that the SP5 does just fine without the bar. And online videos seem to reinforce that. However, having only used larger spirals that have the bar and having watched the bar slice the dough as it rotates, I like the bar (but it does make cleaning more difficult).

I don't know the bowl speed on the SP5 but your logic sounds right. At SFBI most of the straight breads (and pizza dough would be similar) took 5 minutes on first and up to 5 on second. The instructor ALWAYS checked the dough after the initial mix, during the rest. Based on the feel (and windowpane) he would say "Give it another X minutes (or Y minutes and Z seconds)" and we would do that, and pull another window pane. Most of the time the second mix was only 2-3 minutes. (I will let you calculate how many revolutions those mixing times are!

If you ran it side by side I am reasonably confident the SP5 would have a slightly different number of ideal revolutions because the lack of a bar should give it slightly different mixing characteristics. However, nothing I have heard suggests that the difference is significant.

IF I were to order a mixer today it would be an SP5. My guess is that the Electrolux is reasonably equivalent, has similar capacity, and is more versatile. However, without direct experience I cannot reasonably assert that equality which is why I would go with the SP5.

The one piece of good news is hand mixing in the 6-8 pound dough range is pretty easy - particularly if you autolyse the flour for a half hour and use stretch and folds to finish the dough! And the dough is really lovely!

Happy Holidays!
          Jay

My take is that the Electrolux does a

Comment

Wow, am I learning, thanks.
            2 more questions:
            Can the SP5 mix an high hydration dough easily without the scraper?
            Is the Hausler Alpha better since its hook is at an angle?
            Thanks,
            Joel

Comment

Hi guys,
              I have an SP5 also and can share my experience, though I don't have experience with the other brands mentioned or any other spiral mixers.

Using the SP5 I regularly make 67 -69 % pizza dough. I put in all the ingredients (water on the bottom, dry ingredients on top), run the mixer a bit, let it autolyse, then add salt and run it more. I do have to scrape the corners of the bowl quite a bit in the early stages, as there tend to be unmixed pockets in the corners.

It is a very gentle mix and can run forever without heating up.

It is also a hell of a good looking mixer (mine is red)...

I can mix up to about 10 lbs of dough at once.

If I am mixing a much smaller amount of dough, I often just use my older kitchen aid, for a few reasons.
              1) the SP5 mixing bowl does not detach so cleaning can be a challenge, especially with high hydration dough.
              2) it is HEAVY, I think about 75 lbs...
              3) if you don't have a pretty full bowl (6lbs) it is hard for the dough hook to get traction. It is happier with a full bowl.

Hope that is helpful.

Drake
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Drake has the advantage of direct experience so...not to contradict Drake but I have been told it performs well down to about 4 pounds. There are fork mixers that are supposedly able to deal with a range better but again no direct experience to confirm or deny. It is my understanding the SP5 mixes better at six to eight pounds. While I have heard it can do ten pounds I have also heard that you can decorate your kitchen (with flour) if you aren't careful.

One question for you Drake - the bowl of the SP5 is belt driven is it not????

I don't know anything about the Hauser. While looking around I was reminded that Globe is selling an SP5 model spiral but...it is 5 quart and does not appear to have a driven bowl. I would be cautious about that. The SP5 I speak of is from the baking equipment arm of SFBI. It is Italian and is a lab mixer for use in bakery recipe development. Sells for about $1200.

Jay

Comment

It may work well down to 4 lbs. I just usually pull out the kitchen aid for smaller batches.

The bowl of the SP5 is belt driven, as is the mixer arm.

And you are right, the Globe SP5 is not the same as the one from SFBI, I have the Italian one from SFBI.
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks, Drake! I "knew" the SP5 had a belt driven bowl, but...having never seen it in action personally I was reluctant to swear to it!

Part of my fixation on an SP5 is that SFBI is simply one of the highest end product oriented orgs I have dealt with. They have no room for mediocrity so I am confident their SP5 is first rate! And I have seen it (and though I have minor qualms, they are nothing compared to what I feel about the alternatives!)

For those who don't know the diff between an SP5 and a KA, when you do a KA batch you have to pay attention for it can become overworked. The SP5 (while I can technically suggest can be overworked) as you suggest will not overoxicidize from overheating! It is a much more forgiving machine!

Happy Holidays!
                    Jay

Comment

Thanks guys. I usually make 1 kilo of dough flour at a time. Is that too little fo the micro mixer sp5?
                      Thanks again, you input is much appreciated
                      Joel

Comment

One kilo is too small for a spiral or any fork I know of. The Electrolux, with its wiper can probably do it. A KA can but it will (as always) put more energy into the dough than is desirable.

Good luck!
                        Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay
                          That was 1 kilo of flour plus the water.
                          What do you think is the smallest amount of dough that the Santos fork mixer can handle.
                          Also, I saw a uTube video by pavailler 26 that compares both a fork and a spiral mixer and I think the temperature and "window" result was the same. What do you think?
                          Joel

Comment

The fork is reputed to be more gentle by "afficianados" but forks are really hard to come by in the US. If you are at one kilo of flour plus 70% water you are close to the min on the SP5. I think the little Santos will do better but...unless you have physical issues I would suggest sticking with hand mixing. It is too easy to autolyse, rough mix, rest, knead for two/three minutes and put it in a tub. S&F at 20-30 minutes and you are usually done. Minimal clean up. Outstanding dough.

Somehow you need to find someone with a Santos. Fresh Loaf or PizzaMaking. I know there are Santos threads at PM.

Good Luck!
                            Jay

Comment

Anyone hear anything new from Santos fork mixers about the lower RPM?

Comment

Working...
                              X