Cook steak on the hearth floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook steak on the hearth floor?

Anyone ever try it - cook a steak like a pizza? I bet it would be good, but I figure I would ask before trying it. I'm still pretty new to this having only had my WFO for seven months.

Re: Cook steak on the hearth floor?

Not yet, but the "dirty steak" method works well (I tried it one time, just to say I did). The Tuscan Grill really works great, and is now my preferred method, I don't use my gas grill for steak nearly as often as before.

RT

Comment

I have the Tuscan grill, but it is all the way in my garage which is like 40feet from the grill! Way to far to walk. I just think it would be cool
      to slap a few steaks on the oven floor and let em cook.

Comment

Are we talking about the same Tuscan grill? I bought mine specifically for use in my oven......cast iron, 4" legs, about 1 sq ft in size...available here on FB (I bought mine elsewhere, sorry James - was before you started carrying them). It slides easily into the oven over a bed of coals.

RT

Comment

to slap a few steaks on the oven floor and let em cook
          Hmmm that's really interesting... I definitely will try that...

I love bleu steak, so I don't really care if it cooks through either...
          -------------------------------------------
          My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
            Are we talking about the same Tuscan grill? I bought mine specifically for use in my oven......cast iron, 4" legs, about 1 sq ft in size...available here on FB (I bought mine elsewhere, sorry James - was before you started carrying them). It slides easily into the oven over a bed of coals.

RT
            Yes I have the same grill. I was just thinking - do I need the Tuscan grill if I can just move the coals over and throw a steak on the floor where it's nice and hot? Somebody has to have experimented with this. If not I
            may be the first.

Comment

There are hearth cooks who throw the steak directly on the coals so...you might want to try that as well. You have to knock the ashes off but that seems to appeal to some!

I have real concerns the hearth will cool too fast with a wet steak plopped on top and that it will steam more than char. Look forward to hearing what you think of the results!
              Jay

Comment

I have tried to cook a few steaks on the hearth and I find the results lacking what I want. It is correct that the floor will sear the steak, but I have tried a few Ribeyes and they always catch on fire because of the fat. It drips off the steak on the floor, or in a crack, and I have a grease fire. Stick with the tuscan grill. On a side note. The "dirty" steak rocks. That does work...and works well

Comment

Working...
                X