KA Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA Service

I "serviced" my KA yesterday - adjusted the head clearance and put threadlock on the shaft screw. Runs soooo much better now!!!

Probably worth checking on it every so often as mine worked itself loose and I ended up ruining the bowl and beaters. Costly mistake!!

Rossco
    Last edited by heliman; 11-14-2009, 09:24 PM. Reason: Heading changed to avoid confusion!!!!!
    / Rossco

Re: KA Service

What is a "KA" ?

Comment

KA = Kitchen Aid

heilman, do you have a link to something that provides instructions on how to do this? Mine is at least 15 years old and has been used hard without any kind of service ever. Its starting to sound a little sad.

Comment

There are two points that need to be checked on the standard KA Mixer - with explanantions found online.

1. The lock screw that holds the large pin that allows the head to flip up; and
        2. The screw that udjusts the beater clearance.

The lock screw
        The head of the mixer is secured to the base by a large steel pin. Any play between the head and base comes from this hinge and its resulting tolerances. To "tighten" the sloppy tolerances causing your wobble, follow these steps: 1) Lock the mixer's head down and turn the entire mixer upside down. 2) Looking deep into the hollow base, find the small slotted set screw. This screw actually presses against the pin and takes up the slop between the head and pin. Note that this screw is not the large slotted screw I mentioned earlier visible when you tilt the head back. 3)Tighten the small set screw as much as you can. Your wobble should be greatly reduced or eliminated now. 4) Lastly, you may want to readjust the large screw controlling the head's tilt to optimize the distance between attachment and bowl.

Beater clearance
        Your beater to bowl clearance has come out of alignment. This can happen naturally over time and with normal use of the appliance. This is something you may correct from home using a flathead screwdriver.

Unplug the mixer, with the bowl and flat beater removed. Tilt the mixing head back as far as the machine will allow. In the exposed hinge, behind where the bowl would normally sit, you will see a 3/8 screw exposed. Turn this screw half a turn counterclockwise (to your left) in order to raise the flat beater from the bottom of the bowl.

This may take a few attempts until the beater is clearing the bottom of the bowl again. If the adjustment screw will no longer turn, do not force it. It is only designed to move so far to make the appropriate adjustment.

Be cautious. Raising the flat beater too high may leave dry ingredients at the bottom of the bowl.

Will post the link to the KA care guide when I can locate it.

Rossco
        / Rossco

Comment

Thanks
          I have the bowl-lift type so the above doesn't apply, but I am sure there are other adjustments I should be doing...

Comment

Working...
          X