Types of Pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of Pans

I am new to the brick oven cooking and know that they can get very hot.

Are there types of pans that are best for the ovens?
    Types of Pans that should never go in the oven?

My wife does a lot of cooking and has some expensive pots and pans but some of them don't have a temp range as high as I see brick ovens go?

What about the toss away alluminum pans would they last in the oven ...for example under a bear can chicken rack?

Thx

Originally posted by mrpbjnance
    My wife does a lot of cooking and has some expensive pots and pans but some of them don't have a temp range as high as I see brick ovens go?
    I think any high temperature cooking done in the brick oven, like pizza, is done directly on brick. I think any application needing a pan that would call for high temperatures, like blackened fish, would be best in cast iron.

What about the toss away alluminum pans would they last in the oven ...for example under a bear can chicken rack?
    Most normal baking is done with the fire removed, and the oven cooled. I think you could use anything you could use in a conventional oven.

Thx
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Pans

Dmun,

I agree. For higher temps, I use enamel over cast iron pots, French. For anything else, I use whatever is handy. Never had a problem, including ordinary sheet pans directly on brick for rolls.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I use enamel over cast iron pots, French
        Jim, I assume you mean Le Crueset. How does the lid handle hold up?

Also, I know James sells some pottery that can go to 750 degrees. I picked up a couple of pieces, but have not used them yet

Drake
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Le Crueset

Drake et all

Those are the pots I just bought my wife... I bought the 6qt dutch oven and the temp range does not say it can go that high.. don't remember what it was but certainly not as hot as the temps the oven gets

Thanks all for the replys! I am trying beer can chicken tonight
          Last edited by mrpbjnance; 09-08-2006, 07:45 AM. Reason: hit return to soon

Comment

I was in the Le Creuset outlet store in Colorado this weekend. I went in to consider purchasing a dedicated dutch oven for the pizza oven. I own about 4 large Le Creuset dutch ovens and I love them! I figured if I got a dedicated one for the pizza oven I could put it in without worrying about it.

The folks in the store said that the pans themselves really can go up as high as needed, but the handles on the lid are only rated to 450 degrees...

They do have one pan (the Oval Doufeu) that does not have lid handle...I ultimately did not purchase one as I have purchased some of that pottery from James, and even at the outlet stores these pans run $160 and up for "Second quality".

Drake
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Handles

Drake,

I do indeed mean LeCreuset. I use my large oval pot mainly for slow cooking in the oven, so I can't tell you about the lid handle for higher temps. You could always unscrew it for the time being if you want to bake at high temps. I do know that the handles can be brittle and don't like being knocked about when hot.

Jim
              Last edited by CanuckJim; 09-09-2006, 04:26 AM. Reason: Typooxs
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Be careful

I have broken a number of different pans that I had hoped would take the oven, including white porcelan from France, a terracotta looking pan made in the far east and glass. I wonder if it is that many pans are not made to have direction contact with heat. It's more than just the 700+ baking that makes them break. I have done it at regular temperatures. Maybe these pans were made to withstand hot air, but not direct hot contact.

So I would not put a favorite pan in the oven if you would be bummed if it cracked.

I looked that the LeCreuset also and saw the new little knob that cannot get hot. It also does not screw on, so you cannot take it off. I gave up on the idea. It's a new design, that is not better.

But, we were in Ikea a few days ago, and they have a new line of porcelain cast iron pans that are made in France and cost a fraction of the LeCrueset. They are really heavy and looked nice. Maybe I will get one and start testing it out. No plastic knobs.

Of course the Forno Bravo terracotta bakeware is great. It's made in Tuscany for brick ovens. I don't have it front of me, but they're are good to something like 1800F. Terracotta also cooks great.

I have a couple of cast iron pans that I like. A round and grill-griddle that are from Loge. They are great. They get really hot really fast, I have check with the Infrared and they are really good.

I also have an all stainless pan that works well. It's an All Clad knock off.

Using different pans to get different cooking effects is half the fun.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                X