My First Bread and homemade wood door_w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Bread and homemade wood door_w/pics

I made my oven door yesterday and soaked it today for my first attempt at baking bread outdoors. I'm a novice and I when I was ready to bake the bread I had it doing its second rise on cookie sheets. Well When I went to transfer the loaves, they stuck a little and when I loosened them they "deflated". So I need some advise on that part of the process.
    I now have a lot more respect for bread bakers.

Re: My First Bread and homemade wood door_w/pics

If you don't use plenty of flour on the pan, you can't get the loaves off- If you haven't done a lot of baking, you might want to try using banettons or brotformen to shape your dough- they get heavily floured and the dough does it's final rise in them, then you turn it out onto a floured peel and in the oven it goes! The other thing you can do (which I do a lot) is let the shaped loaves rise on parchment paper (NOT waxed paper!) and just slide the paper and all onto the peel. After 10 minutes in the oven you can slide the parchment out from under the loaf no problem.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth! I will use your advise on my next bake.

Comment

Those loaves look really good .... well done!!

You will perfect the process over the next few bakes for sure!!
        / Rossco

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I need it.

Comment

The parchment paper advice is one i learned awhile ago and it works great!!!
            Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

What type of wood did you use for your door? How thick? Any insulation on the oven side?
              I am in need of building a door and am stuck as to how to go about doing. Not very handy, and have very little tools. was really surprised to have built the oven on our own.

Comment

Hi
                My door is very basic. I made it using standard 2x4's"(pine) which I think are actually 1.5" x 3.5". Got them at H. Depot or Lowes. I secured them w/ brass screws and 1 x3 pine.

I soak the door under water for seveal hours. Its worked well for the most part but one time I was rushing and I didnt soak the door long enough and I didnt let the oven come down in temp after making pizza and it burned a little by the time the breads were done.

My set up is "3 season" because I convert my oven back over to become a maple syrup evaporator. I would consider adding some sheet metal or some thickness of plate steel to make it more permanent.

Comment

Working...
                X