Utah Honey wheat bread, thanks Derkp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Honey wheat bread, thanks Derkp!

Thanks to Derkp, I made some honey whole wheat using his fresh Utah honey, and now I am having it with some more of his honey (and a couple of rosemary loaves, too for tomorrow's steak dinner).

Re: Utah Honey wheat bread, thanks Derkp!

Nice look to the loaves! How did you bake them? I find honey or sweeteners require me to bake at lower temps - or make the loaves darker.

Jay

Comment

I did them at 475 to start, but the oven was not really charged, so it is down to 350 after taking them out. It is doored and I will crank it back up for pizza this evening.

Comment

Given that they are honey wheat they are probably just about what you want. The crumb looks pretty soft. Looks like you got pretty good humidity based on the gold color. Baking in partly charged ovens can be tricky for it is really hard to guess what temp you actually bake at. When charged it is cool to take bread out and the hearth reads 425 and then close it up and have the hearth bounce back up to 475.

Good luck with your "northern" pizzas tonight. I will be doing pizza tomorrow (either in the WFO if not raining, or on the grill if raining). And no I am not planning a San Antonio Tex-Mex pizza though I should probably work on that!
        Jay

Comment

Tonight is Oaxaca cheese, fresh Italian Sausage, Jalapenos, always Jalapenos, and 1015's. Throw a little Chorizo on there, and it would be Tex-Mex. Oh yeah, my daughter wants dill pickle slices on hers, hold the Japs.

Comment

Is there a recipe floating around somewhere for these? I couldn't find one.
            Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

The Durum wheat made all the difference. By far the best tasting crust I have made to date.

Comment

I made some boxed pumpkin bread for breakfast. It was pretty dang good. I also had some leftover pizza dough and plenty of heat, so I made some dipping bread. I punched them out like normal crusts and then brushed them with EVOO, cracked black pepper, sesame seed, dried onion flakes and some Tony Cacheres (seasoned salt).

Comment

Everything looks delicious as usual, Tom. We were helping a single mom tear off her old roof and get ready to replace her roof the last few days and have not checked the posts.

We are almost ready to poor our 2nd slab, hopefully this week some time, we also have to move those bees to get more honey in the fall.

Derk

Comment

It goes fast once the stand is done.

Hey Blacknoir, sorry I missed your post. I am not much on recipes, but I am finding that they are a bit more useful for baking bread than anything else. I generally just Google and read three or four different ones to get ingredients and ratios and then fit that to what I have on hand and what I know works for me.

The honey wheat was about like this:

2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups AP flour, 3/4 cup honey (mixed with a packet of yeast and 1 cup of 80 degree water), 2 tablespoons of turbino brown sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 cup EVOO. Most recipes called for less honey and more oil (butter in most). I think I added another cup and a half of water, but it may have been a tad less.

Comment

Working...
                    X