Playing with dough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with dough...

With the holiday season I decided to try once more to make epis that were aesthetically pleasing. And this time it worked. I thought I would share the images as some of you might be inspired to try this!

Just make your (or a) regular baguette dough and form baguettes as normal (though ideally these are a bit thinner than a baguette). Then take scissors and cut at a shallow angle almost through the bread and pull the "ears" to alternating sides. You can find instructions in many bread books and online.

Re: Playing with dough...

Just, Wow!

Comment

Where's the 'like' button?
      My oven (for now):
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hi TS/Tman!

Thanks for the kind words!

Epis are a bit trickier than they look. I haven't tried them for years because my earlier ones looked "awkward". But they are cool for a party. Pass a "stick" around and let people tear off a leaf instead of passing a bowl of rolls. The worst thing about these is that my stone is too short and therefore they are only about 15 inches long. Need a 30 inch oven and a 28 inch stone so they will be LOONNNGGGG!

I figured it was a good time of year to nudge some of you into giving them a try.

Thanks!
        Jay

Comment

nice points, Looks like you did a smash up job on your cutting. I'm more of a function over looks kinda' person so I've never given that a try. I'm kicking up the WFO this weekend so perhaps I will play with my dough as well. Dad is coming for a visit and wants to learn to make bread so that looks like a fun thing to do.

Are those sourdough? I don't use yeast much any more the sourdough is so much better.

Thanks for the fun idea,

Faith

Comment

Hi Faith!

I fall in the taste over aesthetic crowd also. But...I was in an odd mood!

It isn't hard. Cut with the scissors about 30 degrees above horizontal and cut down so the points are within less than 1/4 inch - say 1/8th. And, this is almost the hardest, strive to make the cuts at equal spacings (my first one, long ago was cut too thick and then the problem was spacing... so I speak from experience!) (If the cuts are uneven it REALLY shows in the final bread!)

You will probably bake a few minutes less than normal because the bread has more surface area.

I did mine on parchment so I could simply slide the whole thing in the oven using a cookie sheet as a peel.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
            Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay... or Longhorn just made the connection from TFL. Working on some dough tonight for tomorrow's bake. 40% W/W and Vermont sourdough tonight and 66% rye for the morning got the rye starter out late so I need another build

Thanks for the advice I'll give that a go on Tuesday and snap a picture of my first attempt.

Faith

Comment

Hi Faith!

You "got" me! TFL is a great site... Lots of inspiration there!

Bake On!
                Jay

Comment

Working...
                X