This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread Instruction Videos

This is very good. Forno Bravo and Mary G's Artisan Breads have agreed to collaborate on creating a new section on Forno Bravo.com dedicated to hearth bread. Jim Wills has graciously agreed to share his knowledge and skills with both bread making and wood-fired ovens, and Forno Bravo will be hosting and producing the site. We will share everything you ever wanted to know about hearth bread, dough, wood-fired oven management, ingredients, techniques and recipes. We are also happy to announce that the site will contain video clips as well as web pages and printable instructions. Like everything else on Forno Bravo.com, the new bread section will always be a work in progress -- always getting better and providing better content.

Jim and I are excited about this, and we think it is going to be a great extension to the Forno Bravo community. I have already learned a great deal from Jim, just putting together the first three videos.

The first three clip are here, and over time we will build out the Forno Bravo Bread section on FB.com, and make it easy for you to navigate and search the instructions, tips and videos.

http://www.fornobravo.com/video/boule_shaping.mov
    http://www.fornobravo.com/video/whole_wheat_shaping.mov
    http://www.fornobravo.com/video/slash.mov

Please send your comments and recommendations on what you are looking for in hearth bread instructions, video, site navigation, etc.

James
    Last edited by james; 03-22-2007, 04:20 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Great videos guys. Is there sound in the works? Attaching a personality to instructional videos always works for me. I usually go with an attractive girl. That's me though. On a side note, I was just in Italy for thanksgiving, oh excuse me did I say Italy? I meant the Venetian in Las Vegas. They're so similar. Anyway, I ate some awesome sourdough/herb breadsticks, and was wondering if anyone here had tried to make them. I'm certainly going to give it a bash.

Comment

Breads

Redbrick,

I'm working on a formula for the bread section that can be used for baguette, breadsticks, etc. Essentially, you can use just about any formula for breadsticks, sourdough, lean, even enriched. It's a matter of handling and time. Don't know the size of your hearth, but I can get seven sheet pans full of breadsticks in mine at one go. Thatsalotta.

Unfortunately, my current camera doesn't do sound as well. Upgrade time. I'll ask my girlfriend, Wendy, if she'll do the voice, just for guys like you.

Glad you liked the videos; there will be more. I've tried several times to get a good vid of the windowpane test, but no luck yet. I'll keep at it; matter of lighting.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Cognitive dissonacne.

I am having trouble visualizing seeing Jim's hairy arms while listening his girlfriend's voiceover. Too weird.

Glad you like the video. We're just getting going.
        James
        Last edited by james; 11-29-2006, 03:33 PM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Arms

James,

UMM. We could think of it as installation art. A violent clash sometimes works.

Jim

Comment

Vidoes look good, but I am not getting any sound. Are these supposed to be silent movies?

I played the sample.mov file to make sure it wasn't a setting somewhere on my system.

Comment

It's true, the first clips do not have audio -- it took the Internet to bring us back to a time before the Talkies. Audio is next, but we'll get there.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Talkies

The first Warren Miller movie I saw, back somewhere in the late 60's, was very similar to this. The movie was silent. He had a reel-to-reel player hooked up to a mike that had his music and thena mike for his voiceover.

I don't have the editing software but I do know that Adobe, Pinnacle and a few others let you import the video and sound track from different sources. You then merge them together, edit to your hearts desire and spit it out as a completed clip. Just like being in Hollywood! All Jim/James need is copious freetime.

So if the picture needed a thousand words I have attempted the script without consulting the baker. I really think that these video are self explaning and don't need a voiceover.

ScriptMaster
                Boule - Using lightly floured hand you will tuck in the sides of the boule using 1/4 turns on a floured board . Do this until the boule is formed into a firm ball about 5 full turns. Flip the boule over as it is put into the basket (also floured). Do not PLOP it in but place it gently. Pinch together the seam where you were shaping cover and let it rest.

WholeWheatLoaf - start with the dough in a rectangular shape after it has gone through its xx rise. Fold the dough over, to fit your pan, and pinch the edge. Fold again and pinch..repeat until the dough is folded up like a towel. gently roll and shape the the loaf and put into the pan. Again do a fianl shape to get the roll the fill all edges of the pan.

SlashCut - Slashing the bread is done with a slah razer. Note your razors will dull with time so get yourself a supply of them. The boule has been flipped out of the basket. Again this is a very gentle process, if you are a gorrilla with the dough you can make if flop in like a bad souffle. Dip your blade in xxx so that the dough will not stick to tit and in one smooth motion slice the top of the bread. You will use this slah technique anytime/where you want your bread to have a rise. It forces the bread to break the skin at the slash and lets you control how your bread will look once it is cooked.

This last one kind looks like a murder scene, slicing ear to ear.

Jim - drop me a line so that I can edit and fill in the xx.

Comment

Patrick,

Nice idea on importing the voice over. Jim, if you can record the voiceover on your computer and send it to me, I can add it with my video production software. This can be a middle ground until we get the whole thing pulled together. Yes, in your copious free time.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

If anyone needs me, I'll be here in my soundproof, full pro tools, online sound recording and digital video editing studio.

Comment

Lol

I'm sitting here with my Mac, and a highly dubious Internet connection. Ah, but the olive oil is good.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Voice Over

James,

This would be a good short term solution, importing the voice over separately. However, I don't have a clue right now of how to get a voice over into the PC. I'd need a mic, which I don't have, and probably some sort of software, which I don't have. Willing to do both, so maybe you wizards could help me out with the names.

My feeling at the time was that the clips were pretty self explanatory, but I was thinking of them in direct connection with the bread baking section, where there is text that explains the moves. Still, after due consideration in my copious free time, it would not be a bad idea at all, and would give the clips a separate life and more uses.

Jim

Comment

Guys. Honestly. I have recording engineers standing by. My friend is a "Trailer voice guy" If you like, I'll have him record the dialogue, put some music under it and send it to whoever as an mp3. Alternately, you could send me the master video tape (or a dub) and I'll synch it in final cut pro and send it as an mpeg.

Comment

Voice Stuff

Redbrick,

How be I send you an MSWord file for each, and we go from there? Handsome offer. James would probably be more efficient at sending you the vid files, but if not, I could do it, without the credits, though.

Wont be able to do this until the weekend, however.

Jim

Comment

you know I posted that in jest and it took on a life of its own.
                              Further comments from the peanut gallery

Jim - don't get too wordy as the clips are might short
                              RedbrickNick - cool now that is collaboration! Can your guy do a Philly accent?

Comment

Working...
                              X