Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WFO Bread Class

Faith! That was a real OUCH!

Davmor, the great challenge of WFOs and sourdough is getting them on the same schedule. Commercial yeast is more predictable so I tend to suggest people learning their ovens go with IDY to make the bread more predictable. Fortunately you can bake decent bread over a fairly broad range but real magic occurs when you hit it right!
    Jay

Comment

Lee,

This is what I found out for Peter's classes that he will be teaching. This is in an email from Peter

"I do have two classes coming up in Charlotte, one on Feb. 12 on Artisan Breads Everyday, and the other on March 26th on Pizza. The ony way to sign up for these is to go through the Johnson & Wales website at Johnson & Wales University ; and then navigate to Charlotte (we have 4 campuses) and then to Chefs Choice, where you will find the calendar. I will not be doig any travel teaching for a while because I'm working on a new book."

Here is a link...https://apps.jwu.edu/chefschoice/clt...hsections.aspx

Guess what... Both classes are FULL. So all we can do is check back and see.

Here is a link to KA guest instructors. I would love to take a class with Hamelman one day....The Baking Education Center: King Arthur Flour

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
        Lee,

This is what I found out for Peter's classes that he will be teaching. This is in an email from Peter

"I do have two classes coming up in Charlotte, one on Feb. 12 on Artisan Breads Everyday, and the other on March 26th on Pizza. The ony way to sign up for these is to go through the Johnson & Wales website at Johnson & Wales University ; and then navigate to Charlotte (we have 4 campuses) and then to Chefs Choice, where you will find the calendar. I will not be doig any travel teaching for a while because I'm working on a new book."

Here is a link...https://apps.jwu.edu/chefschoice/clt...hsections.aspx

Guess what... Both classes are FULL. So all we can do is check back and see.

Here is a link to KA guest instructors. I would love to take a class with Hamelman one day....The Baking Education Center: King Arthur Flour
        That was very kind of you...Thank you very much! I'll keep an eye out for something close and affordable.

I wonder about local culinary programs at universities and colleges and how they work their adult education programs? Have to look into that too. Being subscribed to this thread could be a good thing in time too.

P.S. I found WFO home baking classes about 40 miles away from home, offered at Tarleton State College in Stephenville, TX....They offer real bread & WFO baking instruction!!
        Last edited by Lburou; 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

texassourdough,

Thanks for the tip on yeast. You're right. My challenge has been to get the bread and oven on the same schedule. One time I planned to bake in the evening, had the bread ready, but the hearth was too hot. Even with the door off for an hour at 10?F, the hearth still was in the 600? plus range. I finally had to go ahead and bake. I got nice crumb, but keeping the crust from charring was a challenge. Each bake is a learning experience, at least at this stage of my WFO journey, but I'm having fun. I really appreciate all the sharing and good info in the bread forum.

Comment

Working...
          X