Opinions and observances of KA Whole Wheat flours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions and observances of KA Whole Wheat flours

I have access to several WW flours; KA is most available to me. KA has a White WW and a WW and then an Organic WW. I have the nutritional analysis of these but wondered about personal observations and opinions.

Thanks

Chris

Re: Opinions and observances of KA Whole Wheat flours

I have always found KA to be very good quality. I particularly like the white WW for use in high WW doughs for its mildness (not as bitter as darker whole wheat). I also like the organic WW as a minor additive (5% or so) to my country boules. (I also use freshly milled wheat for that purpose.) That said, I am currently testing a stone ground WW and white WW from a midwestern mill that has even more character IMO in rustic artisanal loaves.

I am only really getting into stone ground flours so I cannot reasonably generalize but..I think there are flours that are a cut above KA in nuance but...it is hard to beat KA for availability, consistency, and good quality.

Hope you find that useful!
    Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay, very helpfull. The Spend Grain done Monday was done with the darker WW and I felt it was a bit bitter and and I had the feeling that I lost the grain taste to the WW. I'll have another batch of SG with the white WW tonight. I also picked up a couple of good loaf pans at the restauraunt suppy so I'll be using these not going freeform boules. I hadn't meant to change so many variables for this batch, but it happened. I grabbed the White WW and didn't notice..

Thanks again Jay!

Chris

Comment

I've been playing with the White WW for a few weeks now, and I generally like it. It's milder and sweeter than the regular WW (which is still a very good flour). It makes a very nice loaf and a great bagel, but you've really got to treat it like standard WW in terms of hydration and yeast handling. Nonetheless, I like the flavor enough that I'm going to try an extremely high-hydration pizza dough with it and see what happens.

Stan

Comment

Jay, Stan After baking off 2 loafs of spent grain I'm happier with the WWW over the regular. Thank you both for the feedback. Jay when you get further into testing of other flours, please provide an update on your observations. Your opinions and experience is highly valued.

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X