http://www.fornobravo.com/video/baguette_shaping1.mov
    http://www.fornobravo.com/video/baguette_shaping2.mov

Enjoy,
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Baguette Videos

James,

The dough shown here will be described in the upcoming bread baking section, but I thought to anticipate a few questions here. This is a lean French bread dough made with pate fermentee, so it shapes easily and well. It's important to use the dough cutter like a pincer, not a saw, so the dough is not deflated. The cut pieces are turned over and a sort of valley made down the center, so that when the two edges are pinched together the tops of the loaves have sufficient surface tension for a proper rise. The floured cloth is called a couche, and the folds form walls so the dough rises upwards, rather than spreads outwards. The finished baguette are shown, among other breads, in the Bake Day picture in the Gallery.

Working on the sound issue, guys, honest.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

need some sound advice.

Where do I send the mp3 files guys?

Comment

Nick, you can send them to me (james@fornobravo.com). Thanks!

I think Jim and I have a digital camcorder (with mic) on our Xmas list, which will get us back into the talkies.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One more thing

Voiceover aside, don't you think Jim's videos are just great? I am learning just as I publish them. Excellent.
          Thanks Jim!
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks to both of you for providing these instrcutional videos. May be enough for me to go out and get a spiral mixer.

Comment

Videos

All,

Thanks for the comments. I'm touched, and I mean that. I'll keep them coming if they're helpful, and it seems they are. Just want to get the quality up, but, for me, a still camera guy, the learning curve is somewhat steep. I'd be more than pleased to field questions about these silent versions. Next up will be forming rolls, though the surface tension mantra remains the same.

Perhaps there might be some requests for specific and problematic techniques? I could try to address those if the need arises.

Actually, this is fun for me. I really like the hands on part, mortar to dough.

Jim

Comment

Mixing wet dough by hand

How about something on mixing wet dough by hand. What's the best way to keep it from sticking, without adding too much flour back into the dough -- where it gets too stiff?
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Baguette videos

James,

Missed this post from you. I'll add a mixing wet dough video to the list. Have you seen the general intro piece Wendy and I made? Not sure about the sound quality, but maybe it can be bumped or cleaned or something by somebody like Nick.

Jim

Comment

LOL,
                    After editing the cookbook, I can't see anything. My eyes are swimming around.

The last video I rec'd from you was peels.zip on 2/18. Is there a new video I have missed?

btw -- your technique on mixing wet dough in the bowl before kneading was perfect.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Yep, there's one gone astray. Title: "Wendy's Work." Ahem, Wendy was the camerapersonhood on it, hence the title. It's a short intro, welcome piece for the bread book. I sent it via Pando. The program says it was sent but not downloaded on your end. I'll send it again if there's a glitch.

Jim

Comment

Don't you hate the way computers keep track of everything, so everyone knows who sent it, and who forgot to download it?
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                        X