getting the raised dough into the oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting the raised dough into the oven

Is there a given technique to get your raised bread dough from the counter to the oven. (If not using a pan)

I kept waiting for the risen dough to fall as I damaged the loaf. It worked out okay on my first try (4 round loaves) but it was stressful. I used a heavily floured surface and floured the peel to slide under the loaf. (I would have probably used cornmeal if I had some.)

I'm curious if this is an issue. Obviously bakers have been doing this for centuries so there are given ways. I'd hate to go through all that work to have my loaf fall!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: getting the raised dough into the oven

Jim,

If your loaves are not overproofed, they won't fall as you transfer them from the counter to the peel. One of the things I do sometimes, particularly with high hydration baguette, is to slide a long, flexible, floured spatula under the loaves to help in moving them. Still, I wouldn't worry unduly, because even is the dough seems to spread a bit once transferred, oven spring will take over and give you good volume. You might also want to consider learning how to use proofing baskets.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Proffing baskets?

tell me about the proofing baskets.

We have one that is a basket outside and cloth lined. I think the idea is to flour the cloth and put the dough in it. Is that about right?

I think I've seen some baskets without the cloth too. Are there other baskets and techniques you're thinking about?

And then what is the next step? Do you take the basket to the oven and turn your dough onto the hearth?

Thanks
      Feliz Ano
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
      X