This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood-Fired Bread Cookbook -- online

Mary G's and Forno Bravo have collaborated on a great online book (PDF) on Wood-Fired Hearth Bread. Jim has created some great material on everything from technique and temperaturers to recipes, and he tailors everything to the wood-fired oven baker.

We produced this so that is works both on-line and printed. It's a 33 page PDF document, so it might take a second to start downloading. You can either view it onine, and click to download it.

I hope you like it, and I think the information is great.

We are also in the process of putting this information into standard HTML pages that you can click through from start to finish, and has linking to related information -- similar to the Pompeii Oven instructions.

As always, let us know how we can improve the material and the presentation. I know the video links are really slow to load from the PDF, and I'm working on that.

The document is here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Inst...p-1-c-260.html

Let us know what you think.
    James
    Last edited by james; 03-13-2007, 08:44 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Wood-Fired Bread Cookbook -- online

James,

You've turned my rather raw material into a stunning presentation. Congratulations.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

That is a beautiful pice of work!

Thanks, guys. Now I cannot put off using the oven for bread as well!

Comment

that's looking really good James - now I really can't wait to get my oven done! Then I'll even try to get some hints and tips on making Maltese bread loaves - not sure if any of you have ever tasted it, but that's one of the main drivers for us to build our oven here in NZ - nothing like maltese bread to be found here!!

Comment

Just finished reading the enire file. What a great documnet, well written and illustrated. As this is a three day weekend will be taking on some of the two day recipes, beginning with making the Biga's and the Pate Fermentee this evening.

Comment

Hey guys that was great and very detailed I enjoyed it and will most certainly try those recipies.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Jim and I have talked about this, and self-publishing is great. We don't have to deal with the book companies and book proposals, and we have a great audience who reads and appreciates what we do. You can't beat that.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James and Mary,
                This will be fun.
                Cant wait to start.

Leep

What about Sourdough?

Comment

Lee,

There are many terms for sourdough. The Boule au Levain recipe is just such a one. Have a look and have fun.

Jim

Comment

Thanks

Thanks James and Canuck Jim...nice stuff!
                    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Boccu,

Did some quick net checking and came up with this link: Maltese Recipes that includes a recipe for Hobz, or Maltese bread. Anyhow, take a look to see it this is what you're after.

Jim

Comment

Nice work guys. I have a question about this:

About ten minutes before the breads are loaded, we give the interior a ten second spray from a dedicated garden sprayer with a brass wand, reaching in with the wand to the back of the hearth, then moving forward toward the mouth of the oven.

Can you post a picture of said garden sprayer. Is this attached to a hose then? Does it produce a mist?

Thanks!

Drake
                        My Oven Thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

This is a HUDSON brand sprayer. Available at your local Deep Homo or other imbecile infested gigantic conglomerate building supply labrynth. This one look similar Jim?

Comment

Red, Drake,

That's the guy, though the one you have is a bit on the grand side. Mine has a plastic jug but a brass wand, courtesy, you guessed it, that very same infested Home Cheapo. Don't forget, though, that the smaller the oven, the less spray time you'll need. Maybe just five seconds each time. Don't forget to let the steam escape about halfway through the bake to firm up the crust. You'll have to experiment for the correct amount and time, depending on your oven.

Jim

Comment

Sounds great, I will pick one of those up! (to add to the 2 chemically infested ones I already own).

Thanks guys,
                              Drake
                              My Oven Thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                              X