My bread is gummy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bread is gummy

I am making a grainery bread (4 cups regular flour, 2 cups of whole wheat) and it is gummy in the middle. The bottom thump sounded hollow when I pulled it out and the temperature was 205. This is a bread that gets mixed but not really kneaded. We waited a couple hours our more before we cut it. Any ideas why it is gummy? This happens with several of our breads whether in a conventional oven or WFO.

Re: My bread is gummy

205 I presume is C, its way too cold for bread, you need 230C.
    Are you weighing all the ingredients?
    Resting to double AND proofing to double again?

So many variables.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That is fahrenheit, according to Peter Reinhart's book. By the way, I'm refering to the temperature of the bread, not the oven. Unfortunately, this recipe didn't have weights, only volumes to go by. We did to two risings.

Does that help?

Comment

Doughy bread usually points to a cold oven.
        One of my neighbours son is a bakery manager at one of the big chains, I got some tips off him some time ago and he said its critical to weigh and to have the oven hot enough.
        I was baking at 210c and got doughy bread, I now bake at 230c and its fine.

Edit:- I just did the conversion. 205 ?F = 96.1111 ?C, way too cold.
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

How much water are you using with that 6 cups of flour?

Comment

It calls for 3.25 cups of water.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
              It calls for 3.25 cups of water.
              Seems to me that the hydration is a wee bit on the high side.

Are you sure about those volumes?

Comment

From your stated measurements. I work with weight not volume so I did some conversions for easier understanding. the weight of flour varies for lots of reasons so I used common accepted conversions.

white flour at 4 cups =503 grams
                w/w flour at 2 cups = 237 grams
                so total flour =740 grams

now water at 3.25 cups = 757 grams

with that said your bread is over 100% hydration that is why your bread is gummy and I'm guessing you baked it in a bread pan?

Try reducing the amount of water to achieve about a 68% hydration, I like that amount myself. I would try about 2 cups total of water.

was your dough really wet and sloppy? if not then the numbers you gave are off and something else is going on.

I have made 100% hydration bread before with a 65% hydration shell it is very gummy but the kids can't get enough of it.

Comment

Also which recipe and which book from Peter Reinhart's are you using?

Comment

Yes, those measurements are what the recipe calls for (6 cups of flour and 3.25 cups of water). I wasn't clear though. There is also 1 cup of wheat flakes and 1/4 cup of malt powder. And the only thing about this bread that I took from P. Reinhart is the idea that bread's internal temp should be 205F before you remove if from the oven. The recipe is from a book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. My friend gave me a loaf of this that she made and it was really good - not gummy either. She claims she follows the recipe exactly and bakes it in a conventional oven.
                    Last edited by PaulB; 08-28-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

What is the name of the recipe in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I did a Google search and found that you are not the only one with gummy bread. I would love to see the actual recipe but I don't want to buy a book full of errors. If you can scan the page else I will go to the book store to view it in person.

Comment

Ok found one on my own. Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day ... - Google Books

In this Master Recipe

Flour ='s about 783 grams
                        water ='s about 708 grams

Hydration ='s about 90%

Somewhere I read Hertzberg claimed his hydration levels were correct. I don't think so!

Comment

Thanks Faith. I've read though, and others have told me, that for no-knead bread, and for this much whole wheat flour, the dough needs more than 68% hydration. What have you experienced?

Comment

Well I won't go through the processes of dough development. I will tell you the higher the hydration of the dough the gummy-er it will be.

I keep my sourdough starter at 100% hydration and that is no where near being called a dough.

So if you don't like gummy bread you will need to learn how to make bread the usual way.

I think I answered your question that it is not you doing anything wrong to produce the gummy bread ...it's the recipe and process.

I'm just amazed that a book was written that tells you how to cook your starter or your poolish, I would say bigga but even a bigga has lower hydration

If you wish to make some really good non-gummy bread ... The Fresh Loaf | News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts is a great place to learn and ask all kinds of advice...

I am Faith in Virginia over there as well.

Comment

Yes, I love The Fresh Loaf. I've learned a lot from there. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X