Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My journey to prefect Hearth Bread

Tartine Bread
    How big was the load and if you can recall what temp?

Thanks

Chris

Comment

That Tartine bread looks great. I'm guessing you use the Chad Robertson recipe?

I'm curious what temp you put the bread in at and for how long. I can get dark, lovely loaves like that out of a dutch oven but have yet to master getting that much color out of my WFO. I baked my last batch of 10 lbs at 400-450 for ~45 minutes and only got a light golden crust.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi DJ,

Your Dutch oven is ideal for maintaining a great steam environment for your bread. To get that in your WFO, start your bake around 460(I use this temp for my Dutch oven as well for the first 20 minutes, take off cover, reduce heat to 440f, but only use Dutch oven indoors) up your load to about 15 lbs or add a large pan of lava rocks or iron, pour Hot water over them and seal the door fast. Thats what works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Hi DJ,

Your Dutch oven is ideal for maintaining a great steam environment for your bread. To get that in your WFO, start your bake around 460(I use this temp for my Dutch oven as well for the first 20 minutes, take off cover, reduce heat to 440f, but only use Dutch oven indoors) up your load to about 15 lbs or add a large pan of lava rocks or iron, pour Hot water over them and seal the door fast. Thats what works for me.
          Thanks L -

I only use the dutch oven indoors as well. One or two loaves is usually all I need.

I forgot to add that I had put a cast iron skillet full of water in there as well. I suspect that the temps in the oven were a bit lower than I wanted.

The problem I have with experimenting in the WFO is what to do with all the bread! The neighbors never seem to mind though.

Sorry for the interrupt, Tu
          My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            Thanks L -

I only use the dutch oven indoors as well. One or two loaves is usually all I need.

I forgot to add that I had put a cast iron skillet full of water in there as well. I suspect that the temps in the oven were a bit lower than I wanted.

The problem I have with experimenting in the WFO is what to do with all the bread! The neighbors never seem to mind though.

Sorry for the interrupt, Tu
            I found out from baking baguette, that a steam flash or shock that you get from pouring hot water on a hot surface give a better effect than just having a humid environment that a pan of hot water offers.

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
              How big was the load and if you can recall what temp?

The bread in the photo was actually baked from cast iron combo cooker. The recipe was indeed from C. Robertson. I heated up the cast iron for about 475 F degree for 20 minutes and bake for 40 minutes. I had to bake a couple of loaves on morning to give some friends. It came out so nice that I decided to take a photo of it in front of my WFO while it being heated up for a bigger bake later that day. As far as the bigger bake, those loaves didn’t have the “Tartine look”. I think my WFO doesn’t keep the steam inside the chamber as well as the cast iron combo cooker. Or maybe I don’t use the WFO often enough to get the desired result.

DJ, no need to apology. : )
              Last edited by banhxeo76; 12-30-2014, 01:09 PM.
              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Thanks Tu.

Sounds like we're in the same place. Still a great photo! I'm going to try higher temps and L's "shock steam" approach next time.

Sorry about dem Saints this year!
                My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  Thanks Tu.

Sorry about dem Saints this year!

Oh man, why you got to bring up dat Saints again?!

I gotta start drinking again!

Are you a Seahawks fan?
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Sorry Tu! Didn't meant to bring up a sore subject.

Yeah, I'm a Hawks fan. We've all got our fingers crossed for the repeat

I took Gulf for a box of Cajun goodies last year.
                    My build progress

Comment

It's so hard to get enough steam in our ovens without full loads. I think one advantage of the Alan Scott style is the relatively low volume of air relative to the deck. They seem to contain more dough per cubic volume and so greater humidity.

Oh how I lust for a commercial deck oven with the steam option.

Lol

Chris

Comment

Yeah, I hear you. I've also been thinking about getting a garden sprayer like they talk about in this article

Wood Fired Bread: Creating Steam
                        My build progress

Comment

Faith in Virginia had put an old pressure cooker to use as a steam injector for her WFO. It was pretty interesting and she gave a pretty good description with pictures in her Cold WFO steam injection test thread (link below from the wood-fired oven and cooking videos section). It might be an interesting concept for you to think about...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/...injection+test
                          Last edited by SableSprings; 12-30-2014, 02:26 PM.
                          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

If I decide to do much more than the occasional full bread loads, I'd build a steam unit like Faith. That unit is too cool for school! In the mean time, it's a water only garden sprayer.

Happy new year all!

Chris

Comment

I have used a pump action hand sprayer in my gas oven before. I open the nozzle way up so it shoots lots of water then hit the metal at the bottom and sides. It can produce quite a bit of steam. Also helpful is an empty cast iron pan allowed to heat to oven temperature. Pour a cup of water that is boiling from the tea kettle into that when you load the bread and it will let out a lot of steam! The water needs to be preheated though so it continues to boil and evaporates quickly. I prefer this method vs the sprayer because it will make lots of steam after the door is closed while the hand sprayer steam is very brief and lost quickly out the open door. I like the idea of maybe putting some lava rocks in there too! I may have to play around since I rarely bake enough bread to fill the oven with just dough...
                              Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
                              40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Working...
                              X