Today's bread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's bread!

A little over proofed I think, but not too bad...I mixed the dough, did a couple of stretch and folds, and went to my Grandmother's 95th birthday party. I didn't think it would go as long as it did. It went a long time. Ended up doing a four hour bulk fermetation as a result. Turned out ok though....

Note the Orangecello in progress in the background

Bill

Re: Today's bread!

Hi Bill!

Your proofing is about what most commercial bakers consider proper. The slashes open but only barely rip. I personally like more rip so I prefer being more "under". Your loaves look pretty good. Color is nice (they will tend to be grayer if you actually overproof much). Your shaping clearly leaves something to be desired (not bad but... it ill get better!). You are off to a good start.

Given that your crust looks pretty thick and the color is moderate, I think you could probably increase the temp when you load by 20 degrees F or so but I like my boules on the dark side.

Consider weighing your dough pieces and equalizing weight of the boules. (They look to be rather different sizes.) Having the same size loaves will help a lot as you get better.

Do a few more S&Fs in the first hour (I often do two and sometimes three sets of four - one from each direction) at a half hour. Typically the same at one hour and one set of four (or fewer) at an hour and a half.) Total bulk is usually 21/2 to 3 1/2 hours for me depending on many factors.

Nice job!
    Jay

Comment

Thanks Jay.

I was all over the map on my loaf size. This sounds horrible...but I was sitting at my grandmother's 95th birthday and I was freaking out over the fact that I had 20 lbs of dough sitting in a storage bin proofing...twenty miles away.

I mixed up my dough and started my bulk ferment around eleven thirty am. Got ready for the party and left for the restaurant around twelve-thirty. I was thinking that I'd be home by two-thirty at the latest. I figured, "How long can a birthday party for a ninety-five year old woman last." As it turned out, I was off by about two hours. Don't get me wrong...I love my Grandma and she is as sharp as a tack...had a ball at the party and it was a wonderful event. It's just that I didn't expect it to go so long and there's no way you can stand up at such an event and say, "Sorry, gotta go. My dough will be over proofed if I don't hit the road."

So, by the time I got home I was rushing around like a mad man. Ran in and formed loaves...ran out and raked the coals out of the oven and mopped it out...ran back in and floured my baskets (banetons)...ran back out and set up a table by the oven to set the peels on. As it was, I completely forgot to slash the first batch of eight loaves. Didn't remember until fifteen minutes after they went in and I noticed my razor knife sitting unused on the table. Luckily, they were over proofed enough that they really didn't have enough CO2 left in solution to rapidly outgas and blow everything up. As you can see from the pics, several of the loaves have no slash marks...they just happened to split somewhat near the top.

I did a total of fourteen loaves and, while thety may not be the prettiest things, they make a mean tomato and avocado sandwhich. Overall, I was happy with the way things turned out in light of the craziness.

Bill
      Last edited by WJW; 07-16-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

That is a lot of bread! You must have happy friends!

Getting dough from the bannetons/couche to the oven is always hectic and trying to work fast is even harder. No wonder you got a bit crazy. After 12 years I am mostly in autopilot now but I definitely remember days like that!

Bake On!
        Jay

Comment

Working...
        X