Baked Rustic Bread and Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Rustic Bread and Pizza

Best results so far! Baked about 10 pizza's last night for a small gathering of 5 couples. I started fire at 4 pm and everyone arrived at 6 pm. Some social time and beverage and we started cooking about 8. Oven was saturated with heat and I just kept adding one log at a time and kept the heat. What I have learned is to give the oven lots of time to heat and saturate. Cooked some rustic bread this morning and it was my best so far!

Re: Baked Rustic Bread and Pizza

I second that on the saturation. I have a primavera 60, and while there's talk of a 45 minute heat up time, reality is closer to 1.5 to 2 hours gets you to that sweet spot. Haven't tried bread yet, but yours looks fantastic. What temp did you put it in at? Part of my challenge is the Primavera probably doesn't hold the heat quite like your oven....so at night after I've cooked pizza its too hot....then the next day its dropped down to 400 and isn't hot enough.

Comment

ronh,
      My oven is a 42" pompei. I don't have a temp gauge so I just put the bread in the next morning and my guess is it's in the 500 degree range. The bread cooked for 40 mins. I use a pump spray to spray water under a small crack on the bottom of the door and I put a wet cloth rag inside the oven too. Good crust and crum.
      When I first started using the oven I would get a raging fire going and try to start cooking in an 1 1/2 hours. It didn't work as well as I'm doing now. Now I start with a bit smaller fire but longer heating time. Usually a minimum of 3 to 4 hours. I feel it's totally saturated and adding a log every so often keeps the heat more consistant and the flame licking across the dome. Again, I'm getting much better results and feel I'm more in control!

Comment

Looks good! Good color and good oven spring say the dough was proofed about right and the oven was about the right temp. While there is a good chance you may be able to relibably replicate the timing you will likely experience enough variation that you may want to invest in an IR thermometer. Knowing the hearth and dome temps can be very helpful in adjusting the baking time!

Nice job!
        Jay

Comment

Jay.. Just a pic of the spring. I do find result vary from bake to bake. I've only bake this receipe about 4 times. This has turned out the best. I'm hoping experience will add to my consistancy.
          I agree a temp gauge would help in alot of situations. thanks!

Comment

You are pretty close to making really nice bread - at least with this batch. The big holes in the crumb are bit large (and will occasionally cause problems like blowouts). They indicate you need just a touch more mixing or a bit more punch down and vigor in forming the loaves. Probably not much because they aren't the worst mouseholes I have seen!

Keep at it and keep sharing photos!
            Jay

Comment

The bread looks amazing thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

Jay/All... forgot to mention I use a temp probe and take the bread out of the oven when internal temp reaches 200 to 205 degree's. I start checking at 25 to 30 mins.
                Jay, thanks for the critique, I thought the holes were a bit large. Have been learning alot on the Forno Bravo site about the oven and receipe's. I'm going to try ciabata sometime.

Comment

With ciabatta you want REALLY OPEN crumb. Go to at least 80 percent or even 85% (same recipe, just more water). You will want to mix it a bit more. And feel free to use LOTS of flour. You even want some on the surfaces where you fold it together (sort of like an envelope) - just not TOO much... The dough will be really fragile and sticky if not coated with flour. Good idea to keep them small at first for they are easier to handle!

Good luck!
                  Jay

PS: Don't be afraid to go up to 209 to 210 on the hearth loaves. 205 is where you start getting the flavor of roasted wheat. If you don't like it you can always back down to 205 on subsequent batches. With wet dough (assuming 70% or higher) the crumb will be wet enough that the bread won't be dry.
                  Last edited by texassourdough; 08-14-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Looks good Bama! What is the recipe?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X