Does anyone grind their own grains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone grind their own grains?

I am looking for which grains to buy. I am planning on buying in bulk to asve money and trips to the store. and since the whole grains store forever, i may as well do it.

my question is, what grains are people using? I plan on buying head red winter wheat, but don't know which others to buy.

Thanks
    caspian

Re: Does anyone grind their own grains?

Dont know whether I want whole grain pizza,I like the traditional white bread taste.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
      I am looking for which grains to buy. I am planning on buying in bulk to asve money and trips to the store. and since the whole grains store forever, i may as well do it.

my question is, what grains are people using? I plan on buying head red winter wheat, but don't know which others to buy.

Thanks
      caspian
      I see you are from Ohio. Where do you plan to buy your bulk wheat berries?

There was a time not too long ago when I was looking at buying a grain mill and grinding my own flour. The allure certainly had nothing to do with saving money though. I seem to remember that the cost of the wheat berries that I was able to find online wasn't very cheap ($1/lb). Throw in the cost of a decent grain mill and you are talking big bucks.

I may consider it again if you can point me to a good supplier.

Comment

going to get there today and see what they have. i'm in the Dayton area.

http://www.saundersseedco.com

google seed or farm supplies in your area. If you're in Ohio, there should be somewhere nearby.

If nothing else, the Walmarts by me have 25 lbs of red hard winter wheat for $13. Yours probably have them also.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen the wheat berries at Wally World the last time I was there, but I will check again. Might be possible to check seed suppliers, but I don't think that hard wheat is grown in Ohio. I will certainly check though.

Comment

on the bottom shelf by the flour in a burlap bag.

Comment

Caspian, I've been grinding some of what I use in bread and I also picked up a 25# bag of White Wheat berries at Walmart. What I've been working on is King Arthur All Purpose flour with fresh ground Rye, Whole Wheat, and or Spelt. The KA W/ Rye and Spelt is my current focus. I like the rich flavors of the Rye and Spelt and the Spelt has a fairly good amount of Gluten so I get a nice crumb. I pickup these at Whole Foods Market, my co-workers refer to this as Whole paycheck market. I freeze the grain for storage and since grinding heats the flour to an estimated 80-90F, it's perfect for mixing.

Chris

Comment

I called Sauders Seed and they are kinda pricy. So I found this place in the Dayton area. Your prices will vary, but give you an idea.

Brubaker Grain & Chemical Inc
                307 W Center St
                Farmersville, OH 45325
                937-696-2028

Hard Red Winter Wheat - $10.50/ 50 lbs
                Oats - $11/50 lbs
                Steam Rolled Barley $14.05/50 lbs
                Winter Rye $19/50 lbs

Comment

Working...
                X