Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse holes???

Something is wrong.

The last two batches of sourdough that I have done have had major mouse holes in the loaves. Big huge things...an inch in diameter or better.

I think it's insufficient dough (gluten) formation. I know the first problem batch didn't get enough S&F's due to some timing issues....but I thought the latest problem batch had been properly developed. I did not do any windowpane testing (never have) , but am thinking that may need to change.

The only thing different is that I have been upping hydration a bit such that I am right about 70% or a bit higher.

Interestingly, the last bake was thirty loaves....16 were 25% rye flour/75% AP Minnesota Girl. They turned out perfect.

The other 14 loaves were 100% AP Minnesota Girl....huge mouse holes.

What's up? Thoughts?

Bill

Re: Mouse holes???

With sourdough mixing and hydration are typically not the cause of big mouse holes. I would look at your forming. After you divide the dough it really needs to be degassed. If you don't you will get them big holes. Look at Utube for some good videos on bread forming.

If your wondering why now your process has not changed. One fun things with sourdough it it's very ambient temperature reliant. So your wild yeasts may becoming more active in the warmer kitchen. Always need to make adjustments as the seasons change.

Hope that helps, Faith

Comment

Thanks Faith. That does help.

Bill

Comment

As I commented in another thread, at SFBI we routinely took dough that was about 4 inches thick and "pounded" (okay firmly patted) it down to about 1 3/4 inches (less than 2) inches thick when we preformed the loaves. Lean artisanal doughs are not particularly fragile if they are properly developed. And they can still have an airy, random crumb when properly proofed after such rough handling. Most mouse holes seem to result from being too gentle and not working the dough though salt and yeast unevenness (poor mixing/development) can cause it also.

Good Luck!
        Jay

Comment

Working...
        X